The Labyrinth

Narrators POV

Monday... the first day of the week all kids, or, well, everyone hates the most. Only if you're unemployed or don't have school to attend, Mondays are the worst. That could be said for Nagumo Hajime. He was a bullied student, so you can guess he dreaded Mondays and having to go to school.

Kaori: "Nagumo-Kun! Good morning!" This was the "goddess" of the school. She always greeted Hajime in a happy tone. "You're almost late again! You should get up earlier."

Hajime: "Hah... yeah. I should... where's Riku?" He rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he looked at the empty seat next to his.

Kaori looked over at the empty seat and shrugged absent-mindedly.

Kaori: "Huh, guess he isn't here yet." Kaori and Riku never got along, they just never clicked. It wasn't because of dislike, I'd say Riku just never wanted anything to do with her.

The people around them watched their interaction, glares from all around the room directed at Hajime, then they heard the door open.

Riku came waltzing into the classroom as he groaned. He was a tanned student that had long black hair like the night with uncut bangs. He wore the signature school uniform as he sat in his desk. He had red eyes and slightly thin eyebrows. Riku is fairly quiet and tends to fade into the background, normally wearing a bored expression, although he was a model and actor for a very expensive company, he never really talked much.

Kaori: "Riku-Kun! You're late! You're going to get a scolding from Aiko-sama!" She said cheerfully with a smile.

Riku sliced his eyes over to her as he opened his text book.

Riku: "Since when were we on first name basis?" His tone wasn't particularly rude, but he came off like that to the people that didn't like him, they just needed a reason to not like him. "And I have a very valid reason to not be here on time." He had an air of maturity that surrounded him when he spoke. His voice was deep, and he spoke at a tempo that could be understood for those around him.

Hajime sat beside him in his chair, earning a smile from Riku, something he does very rarely unless he was your family or a very, very close friend, but Riku looks at Hajime like the brother he never had.

Riku: "Hajime, did you get enough sleep?" Riku passed him macaroons in a black box.

Hajime: "Hah... no, I was up all night reading manga." He opened the box and raised an eyebrow. "What's the macaroons for?" The scent of vanilla and strawberry filled his nose as he looked at the perfectly created dessert in front of him.

Riku: "Ah- I tried to make macaroons and decided to bring you some. I know that you like them so... just enjoy!" He began writing in his textbook with a look of embarrassment. This came as a surprise for Hajime because Riku was always busy with modeling or something else so when did he have time to make macaroons?!

Truth is, Riku saw Hajime as family even though they had very different backgrounds. I mean, they were friends ever since they were little. Hajime would go to Riku's house and Riku would go to Hajime's house. Both of their parents enjoyed their company so it was inevitable that they would be that close.

Flashback

Both were 5 year olds at this time. Riku saw Hajime on the ground with a black eye. He stood over him as he cried on the ground holding his eye.

Riku: "What happened...?" He asked with a bored expression, his red eyes burning into Hajime's.

Hajime: "Just the usual... it's nothing, really." He tried to smile as he wiped his tears and use the little strength he had to get up.