Chapter 17. A Frenemy

The night streets rolled by outside the carriage window. Theo closed the curtain and turned to face Ann. "Almost there."

"Good," Ann replied, her voice tinged with exhaustion.

Today, Ann was dressed in a stunning long black dress adorned with sparkles, accentuating her petite frame. Theo couldn't help but admire her beauty, longing for the mission to be over so they could indulge in their desires. It was too early to continue their intimate experiments in bed, but he yearned to hold her close and shower her subtle neck with passionate kisses.

Shaking his head, Theo pushed aside his fantasies. They were on a mission, damn it, and their duty was the utmost priority.

"Are you ready?" Theo asked, perhaps for the hundredth time. But he needed to ensure that Ann fully understood her role in the plan.

Her hands crumpled the hem of her black dress. "Of course. All I want is to save Elliana."

He nodded, his mind filled with unease. Ever since Ann had informed him about the tickets for the closed show that her friend Charlie had supposedly 'won in the cafe raffle,' Theo couldn't shake off his nerves. It was clear to him that the Colonel was behind it all. But involving the students in their plan to rescue Elliana seemed too risky. They were mere civilians, and if anything were to go wrong, they could end up getting hurt.

Taking a slow breath, Theo tried to convince himself that this was the best course of action the Colonel could offer. He just needed to ensure the safety of Annie and her newfound friends. "As we discussed, you all must obey my orders," he reiterated. "When I tell you to leave the building immediately, it means -"

"That I will leave," Ann interrupted, giving him a weary look. "I know, Theo. You can't be of any help if you're constantly worrying about me."

He gently took her hand, offering her comfort. "Thank you for understanding. I truly didn't want you to be involved in this mission. But using Charlie's tickets is the only way for us to gain entry."

"Theo, you can't handle all the guards alone." She locked eyes with him. "If you need Charlie's help, he would be more than willing -"

"I won't put you guys at such risk."

"But his Gift -"

"Yes, he can turn Invisible, I know. But he lacks professional training. His shield won't last long enough to hide all of us. I can't endanger his life like that."

"So what's your plan then? Are you just going to snatch her away amidst all the guards?"

He shrugged, contemplating his options. "Maybe. From what I've learned, chaos and panic can create unexpected opportunities."

She furrowed her brow. "Please tell me you're not planning to set the place on fire."

"We'll see," he replied cryptically. "Sometimes even the best plans require some improvisation."

She let out a sigh, clearly dissatisfied with his response. Thankfully, the carriage came to a halt, bringing an end to their conversation.

Pushing open the carriage door, Theo stepped out onto the foggy street. The lamps lining the road were crafted from Time Crystals, casting a purple glow. The theater building stood before them, resembling a mysterious creature with its entrance gaping like a black mouth.

Turning back, Theo extended his hand to help Ann out of the carriage. As she stepped onto the ground, he waved the coachman away.

"You promised to behave," Theo reminded her.