Chapter 7. Creative Expression

Candlelight flickered inside the glass lantern, casting colorful splashes across the living room. The glass, adorned with various paint spots, captivated Ann's attention, helping her divert from her worries.

"I see my work has impressed you," Charlie remarked, approaching with a steaming teacup in hand. He handed it to Ann. "Isn't it beautiful?"

Accepting the cup, Ann inhaled the refreshing aroma of mint. "Thank you. This is exactly what I needed."

"Do you mean the tea or the lantern?" Charlie quipped.

Ann smiled coyly. "I mean... a friend." Today, she had almost discarded the note containing his address, but now her doubts about him seemed foolish. Perhaps Charlie possessed an eccentric personality, but he had welcomed her without prying into her personal affairs. It was something she was grateful for.

A smile spread across Charlie's face. "No problem at all. I live alone in this modest studio, so I'm glad to have some company."

Ann surveyed her surroundings. Charlie's description of a 'modest studio' hardly did justice to the expansive living space with its lofty ceiling. A ladder led to a raised area where his spacious bed was situated. Being on the top floor, the studio boasted a spheric glass roof that offered a breathtaking view of the starry sky.

Glass spheres and canvases adorned every available surface. Ann couldn't help but notice that the majority of the artwork depicted city landscapes, featuring old buildings and bridges. Amongst them, empty canvases beckoned to her inner artist, their pristine whiteness tantalizing her creative spirit.

"I see you've been quite productive," she observed.

"I love practicing outdoors. Sometimes, I'll grab a thermos of coffee, my set of brushes, and an empty canvas, and head to a spot that catches my interest. Then I let the flow of creativity carry me away."

"That's a beautiful way to practice," Ann admitted, relieved to find someone who shared her artistic mindset. "And what about the glass spheres?"

"You noticed." Charlie's black eyes gleamed with pride. He ran his fingers along the intricate lantern, admiring it. "This is actually a project I'm currently working on. Last year, I met someone who taught me about the profound impact of colors on our senses. Did you know that vibrant colors, especially from the red spectrum, can uplift your mood? On the other hand, soft pastel colors can help alleviate stress."

"It makes perfect sense," Ann agreed.

"Exactly," Charlie continued to explain with enthusiasm in his voice. "I want to create a collection of lanterns adorned with unique paint patterns. Each lantern would serve a different purpose. For instance, placing one in a child's bedroom could help ward off nightmares."

"I love this idea," Ann said, genuinely excited for Charlie. "But why do you need to study for two years? You could start working on it right away."

"I want these lanterns to serve as therapeutic tools, not just decorative pieces," Charlie explained. "Having a therapist license would greatly benefit me." He looked at Ann curiously. "You took the art therapy class too, didn't you? I assume you have a similar reason for it."

"I do," Ann replied, settling herself on the comfortable sofa. "I guess It's time for me to share my story. As you already know, I used to teach children how to paint. During that time, I noticed how much it helped them when they expressed their fears and worries on the canvas. It brought them a sense of calm. Intrigued by this, I did some research at the local library and discovered studies on art therapy. That's when I decided to develop a program and implement it in my school. I couldn't do it without a special license, so here I am."