OPINION PIECE: USC RHYMES WITH MISOGYNY

USC RHYMES WITH MISOGYNY
by Bellatrix Yalung, Contributor

OOPS, THEY did it again!

The closeted misogyny in the supposedly all-powerful University Student Council is becoming more apparent as days go by.

First, they threw their ex-vice president, Valeria Encarnacion, under the bus by making her take responsibility for the mess that led to the disappointing impeachment episode. Priam Torres, if he had any delicadeza at all, should have resigned and let Encarnacion lead the council. He would have been hailed a hero, but he chose to be a villain instead.

Now, they took away the only tolerable thing that could have made the legacy of their council a bit palatable: a female VP. Torres could have appointed Avrille Mae Padilla of CAMP or even the "First Lady" Fabienne Lucero of CAS. But what did he do? He chose none of the women in the top three preferred VP bets.

By not appointing a woman as vice president, is the USC implying that women are undeserving of holding positions of power? Are they that threatened on what we, women, can bring?

A male president appointing a male vice president sets back the movement for gender diversity in leadership roles that this university desperately needs. They could have broken the chain and smashed it into pieces, but they chose to mend it and perpetuate the toxic patriarchy that has plagued us over the past decade.

It's time to challenge the status quo and stand up against misogyny. Enough is enough.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this publication are those of the writers and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the ANGLE.

#