A gift for Mother | {No ship!!}

Theme: Fluff+Angst (50/50? sorta)

Note: I was going to say happy belated mother's day but this isnt supposed to be happy

anyway, writing this bc the shinazugawa ep was released on mother's day

the Shinazugawas (im taking this off some video so it might not be accurate):

Shizu(30 smth-), Sanemi(13?), Genya(8?), Teiko (7?), Sumi (6), Hiroshi(5), Shuya (4), Koto(2).

×××

For a couple months now, they had been doing small things in order to get a little money. Since their father had died, though it had been quite a relief, it also brought about a lot more pressure on their mother. Shizu had to work a lot more often and barely saw them anymore. Sanemi and Genya were doing their best to care for the younger children while their mother acquire money for the family. Shizu appreciated them greatly, more than she could express. But she made sure to leave them small things when she was able to get a little extra money—and though it wasn't often since she was getting less money than a man would've, it was her own way of showing her love.

Sanemi and Genya tried to get her to stop buying the excess things but she said she just wanted them to be happy. She would buy them books or toys, especially for the others so they could be entertained during the day.

Because of this, however, it only drove all of the children's desire to help her in a way. The younger children admired Sanemi and Genya especially since the two had managed to get a little money from helping around the town here and there. So they all made sure to behave well as much as they could will themselves to so it would be easier on everyone.

It did help a lot and Sanemi made sure to show he was grateful for it. Eventually he brought up the topic of Mother's Day as May approached. 

"We're supposed to get her something?" Shuya had asked, confused. "Mother has a day for her?"

Sanemi nodded. "There's a day where we specifically have to show allll our appreciation towards her and all she's doing for us."

"What appre-ation?" Koto asked curiously, crawling over to nestle himself in Genya's lap.

"Ehm... Like giving her presents or telling her we love her and telling her thank you for being our mother," Genya suggested. 

Sanemi agreed. "Exactly. And you know how we have been saving up the money and not buying other things?"

"Are we gonna buy Mother something?" Sumi asked, eyes lighting up when Sanemi nodded. "We can buy her a new house!"

"...we don't have quite enough money. But I saw a kimono on sale somewhere while getting food," Sanemi said with a gentle laugh. "Tomorrow we can go through the town and look for something to buy for her after breakfast."

"Mochiiii!" Hiroshi said. "The sweet ones!"

"For breakfast or for Mother?" Sanemi asked, a smile curving his mouth.

"Mother! And breakfast!" Hiroshi said enthusiastically.

Sanemi shook his head. "Mochi takes too long to make and I don't think we have the right ingredients. Besides, it's not long lasting. We should buy Mother something that would be more helpful."

"...fine." Hiroshi huffed but didn't push it further.

Koto had fallen asleep somehow and Genya stood, cradling his brother carefully as he stumbled to one of the futons. 

"I have money tooo," Teiko said. She rummaged in the obi of her kimono where she'd apparently hidden a couple coins. She held them up proudly. "I can help buy too!"