𝟕 | 𝐅𝐞𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐲

When James had hurt his palm while chopping this morning as he was busy face-timing with his girlfriend (no matter how many times I warned him that he would hurt himself), never in my life had I expected to see the person standing in front of me r...

When James had hurt his palm while chopping this morning as he was busy face-timing with his girlfriend (no matter how many times I warned him that he would hurt himself), never in my life had I expected to see the person standing in front of me right now.

Rachel Feisty Wang.

She is the only best friend of Jade's wife, Aurora, and I and Rachel met when Aurora was assigned as a therapist for Jade and encountered an unfortunate event at his brother Christian's birthday party that landed her in the ER.

Jade and Aurora had a rough start in the beginning, and due to that, mine and Rachel's first encounter that day wasn't very bright, as she was defending her best friend (who was lying unconscious in the ER) while pointing fingers at Jade, and I was ready to throw hands to defend mine. In my defence (and Jade's), we had no idea about Aurora's triggering past that had affected her so much when a son of a shit tried to assault her at Christian's birthday party.

But when I watched her fighting and standing with her chin up in front of Jade and his brothers, protecting her best friend, something in her grey eyes struck me.

It was the spark that her grey orbs held as she argued with everyone in the room-the storm thundering in that cloudy gaze of hers-that showed her love and possessiveness over Aurora-that she wouldn't hesitate to unalive the person who would ever even try to hurt her.

As much as I hated to admit this, those grey orbs of hers had ignited an interest in me, just to annoy her and see her glaring eyes whenever she would look at me. It made me weirdly crazy about the way she was blunt in her actions, like she doesn't care about anything other than the people she loves the most, not even about the circumstances that could be caused by her actions.

It was something that I had always wished for: the ability to not indulge in overthinking about the future or regretting the past and to live in the present and whatever it throws at you while moving on.

I still remember the time I met her before she left for Calgary after Aurora was okay, and the way we parted wasn't pleasing either. After that, we both met again at Aurora's wedding and again when she gave a Thanksgiving and housewarming party at her new home, where I think I accidentally gained a small piece of knowledge about Rachel's life that I shouldn't have.

Since that day, there hasn't been a single day I haven't thought about her.

Now, as she is standing before me again after almost a year, like appearing out of nowhere when I never expected her to see again, her eyes and her demeanour are still the same.

Bold, determined, confident, and feisty.

Her brows slowly relax as the shock in her eyes replaces itself with a glare directed toward me that matches mine.

"What's going on?" James's eyes dart between me and Rachel. "Do you guys know each other?"

Before I could utter a word, Rachel scoffs. "You make it sound like this is a freaking reunion." She says this while looking at him.