𝟔 | 𝐃𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐲 𝐈𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞𝐬

"What do you mean you want to move out?"

Despite the calmness in my father's voice, I could sense the hidden storm that was coiling up inside of him.

My mom's report came out negative again yesterday, and the doctors again said that the medicines weren't working anymore. It was just a matter of time before she would have to meet her unfortunate fate.

We were heartbroken. After all, it was my mom we were talking about. When I told Demi about the same, she cried for hours over the phone, but I managed to calm her down. Still, my own hurt was inevitable when she slept over the call and I hung up, bawling like a little child in my room.

If there was a chance that my mom was devastated as well, she didn't show it even for a second while she held me in her lap the whole night, humming me a lullaby and roaming her fingers in my hairs, while I just stood there, weeping.

Now, knowing that nothing could save her life and our home, in which her presence made it home for us, I wanted to move out since I couldn't let myself drown in the pain completely.

Maybe I was being selfish; maybe I was only thinking about myself, but it was about time that I had to take a stand for myself and my whole life, which was in front of my eyes.

I glanced over to Emma, who halted her movements in the kitchen from doing I don't know what and now was paying attention to me and my dad, who were currently standing in the living room talking about the matter at present.

Clearing my throat, I tried to ease the tightening around my neck. "I want to start a job away from LA."

"And your mom?" His brows dip further as he looks at me. "You want to leave her alone in her final days?"

My mouth dried listening to how easily he said those words, as if the person he was talking about wasn't just sitting in the room next to us.

"I am not saying that I want to leave right now." I said it as calmly as possible, but the hammering of my heart was so loud that it made my ears hurt. "I want to leave after..."

Clenching my fists before looking away from him, I was still not able to accept the fact that my mom had very little time to be with us before she would be taken away from me forever.

"And what's the problem with staying here after that and working in LA?" He asked.

I shut my eyes tightly before speaking. "I won't be able to, dad." When I looked at him, the lines on his forehead had already deepened. "I can't stay here and focus after mom is gone. I would need time, and if you still want me to be here, I will come back again, but I need to be away for some -"

"You won't be leaving anywhere." His words were sharp, and I could have sworn that I nearly jumped on my spot listening to his harsh voice. "Not even after your mom is gone."