𝟒 | 𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞

Holiday seasons are the worst when it comes to owning a public gathering place

Christmas is almost approaching, and for some, the holiday season has already begun. My colleagues and I were still working as usual for the restaurant, attending to customers and spending more manpower energy than we normally do. The crowds are always large on such occasions, and closing the place for my own vacation could be a loss to it. Apart from that, I never denied someone's request to take a day off and spend time with their loved ones.

Another chain that I had opened in Quebec was also in full swing, and the sous chefs that had been hired for that location were able to keep up with the restaurant's busy days perfectly (thanks to Jade's elder brother Christian, who was closely monitoring everything on my behalf), and it was making good profits despite being a small food outlet.

"Table number nine!" A waiter's voice rings out within the kitchen. "Order for two goat cheese salads and one stuffed tomato!" He added.

"On it!" I shout, signaling that I am going to give the order.

The server approaches in my direction and hangs the paper for the order he requested previously on the paper hook in front of me. I give a tiny nod and continue my work.

My approach when serving food to my visitors is to serve them as fast as possible, because no one like waiting when it comes to dining, and quick service is one of the most important criteria in determining a restaurant's rating. Meanwhile, while the food is being cooked in the kitchen for any table, my servers outside make sure to bring them complementary drinks or request if they want anything more so that the customer does not feel forgotten while waiting for their meal.

"Table number nine." I pass over the plates with the food to the server, who was waiting for me to finish, and he takes each one from me before placing the dishes on the food cart. "Be careful." I add, and he nods and walks away.

As I grab my pen from my apron pocket and mark a cross on the slip for table number nine (to indicate that the order was finished), I notice James approaching toward me out of the corner of my eye.

"Finally." As he removes his apron, he lets out a hefty grunt. "We are done for the day."

"Yeah." I sigh and roll my shoulders to relax my muscles. "That was the final order. Finally, we will close for the day."

"So?" He narrows his gaze.

I get what he was implying, but I would do anything to avoid that subject. "What?" I shrug.

"You aren't as smart as you pretend to be." He says it in an uninteresting tone. "You know what I am talking about."

I roll my eyes. "I will think about it when I've got the time and energy." I remove my apron and hang it on the hook before unfolding my shirt's sleeves. "Why are you so interested in my dating life?"