36-40

Chapter 36

"Your highness..." 

Consort Jin laughed so hard that she couldn't catch her breath. Only with the support of Ziyan did she finally stop her laughter. "When she first entered the mansion, had I used my identity and capabilities, she wouldn't even be able to last a day. Ziyan, let me tell you the truth. When you enter a mansion, know that if the west wind doesn't overwhelm the east mind, it would be the east wind that overwhelms the west wind. Even if you aren't interested in fighting, there would still be countless people forcing you to fight. If you refuse to fight, you can only wait for your death..."

Ziyan thought about the reports she'd received in the past few days. According to the reports, Side Consort Hu's people were extremely arrogant, often confronting their own people and even gathering other servants around. She remained silent.

In her short-sightedness, she had always believed that since the consort doesn't like disputes, why not just stay as far away as possible? After all, as the main consort, just a meager Side Consort Hu wouldn't be enough to shake her position. However, just slightly over a year had gone by, when reality slapped her fiercely in the face.

Even if Side Consort Hu was a cheap whore and born as a prostitute, with Jin Wang backing her, she could still ride roughshod over the noble Consort Jin.

"Back then, my mother also suffered from this kind of loss. She thought she was so noble and no one could shake her position. Yet, she still ended up angered for most of her life as she watched that person give birth to both a son and a daughter. Meanwhile, throughout the decades she had only managed to give birth to a daughter. However, I'm not even as good as my mother. Without any child to rely on, who knows how that person will deal with me in the future..."

Zi Yan had wanted to say some comforting words to Consort Jin when she sat up suddenly from the couch herself and said, "No, I can't sit and wait around for death. Since he is disgusted with me, I will find someone that won't make him disgusted. After their child is born, I will have the baby brought to my side to raise. The woman can be anyone, but it can't be the one from Liuchun Pavilion."

"Your highness, then we—"

"Let the people in Xiaokua's courtyard make some movements, and see if you can instigate that stupid and unenlightened wet nurse, who doesn't even understand that the pavilion closest to the water enjoys moonlight first. Go call over Concubine Feng and let some servants also go out to search for more candidates. This consort doesn't believe that no one can't steal that bitch's limelight."

As these words fell, Consort Jin's eyes flashed brightly. It wasn't until that moment did the former prestige of the proud daughter of Xu Jiatian reappear. Time may have consumed her arrogance, but it hadn't consumed her mind.

"Yes, your highness."

~

Yaoniang didn't know that because a certain man always sneaked into her room at night, and couldn't tolerate the heat, to make himself and her more comfortable, he ordered for the ice to be brought to all three of the nannies. If Yaoniang learned of the truth, she would probably be frightened to death.

A message had been sent down, and the ice kettles were delivered in the afternoon.

Except for the little princess and Mammy Mu, each of the three nurses had an ice kettle in their room. Nanny Qian and Nanny Wang were so happy that they laughed until their eyes couldn't be seen. The other servants all admired their good fortune, only Yao Niang remained low-key.

When the ice kettles were delivered, a lot of onlookers joined in the fun.

As the young servant girls looked around here and there, some discerning ones noticed that the ice kettle in Yaoniang's room was different from the rest.