Chapter 40

Aiden POV

The next morning, I woke up, and Hazel wasn't by my side. Checking my phone, I found a text from her, saying she went to help Chloe. I loved waking up next to her; it bothered me that she had to leave.

Checking on Alice, I saw she was still asleep. She would be upset that she wasn't able to say goodbye to Hazel. Going downstairs for breakfast, I was surprised to see my dad there.

"Dad, I didn't expect to see you here so early," I said.

My dad looked at me seriously, "Come to my office; we need to talk."

"Okay," I replied, following him into his office.

Seated at his desk, he instructed, "Sit down," and I complied.

"I've been wanting to talk to you for some time now. I waited until you actually worked at the firm to have this discussion with you. You see, we all have a responsibility. Your family has created one of the most successful law firms in the country, starting with your grandfather, and then I took over. We have made so many sacrifices to make this firm shine, and now, son, it's your turn."

"I know, Dad. You know I'm doing my best at the firm, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the firm," I replied.

"I'm glad you see it that way, Aiden. We have a long history with the Campbells..." he began.

"Dad, I already told you. I'm not with Stacy anymore," I said, sounding frustrated.

"Let me finish," he said sternly. "This isn't about you. It's about your entire family. It's time you do your part. The Campbells and I think both our companies can become stronger if we merge, and the best way our companies can merge is if you and Stacy get married."

I stood up from the chair, "What the hell? How can you ask me that? I am not marrying Stacy!" I exclaimed.

My dad stood up as well, "I already told you! It's not about you! It's about this family! It's time you do your part!"

"I'm not marrying Stacy just so you can get richer!" I yelled.

"That's not what this is about. What's the problem anyway? You used to really enjoy spending time with Stacy," my dad said.

"She cheated on me!" I shouted.

"Please, like you haven't. You're sleeping around with that secretary, aren't you?" He accused. My eyes widened; he knew about Hazel. "What's the matter, son? You think I don't know what's going on between you and the ugly secretary. Honestly, Aiden, I never understood it. What the hell were you thinking? Do you know what would have happened if word got out in the media?"

"How the hell did you find out about her?" I asked

, shocked.

"I have eyes and ears everywhere, son," he declared, throwing in front of me a bunch of pictures of Hazel and me.

"So what? So what if I am seeing Hazel?" I said defiantly.

My father started laughing, "That's funny, son. How could you want to be with someone like her when you can be with Stacy?"

"Because I love her, Dad! That's why I want to be with someone like her," I explained.

"Aiden, please. Look at her. Have you gone blind..."

"Stop offending her!" I yelled angrily.

"She's cheating on you!" my dad yelled at me.

"What? No," I answered.

"See for yourself, son," my dad said, throwing photos at me.

I looked at the photos and couldn't believe it. In those pictures, I saw Hazel with that stupid doctor; they were kissing in all the photos.

"Do you believe me now?" My dad replied. "That picture from there is just from yesterday. That was just before you picked her up, right?"

I didn't know what to think, I grabbed the photos and left my father office.

Then I called Hazel. She didn't answer, so I left a voice message, "Hazel, meet me in my apartment in 20 min!"