Chapter 12

Hazel POV

After I arrived from my lunch break, I stepped out of the elevator and made my way to my desk.

I noticed Aiden as he walked by. He looked up at me, our eyes met briefly before he turned away. I wondered if something was bothering him, but I didn't want to pry and decided to ignore the feeling I felt just now.

The week flew by in a blur of paperwork and meetings. Before I knew it, Saturday had arrived, and I found myself on my way to the hospital to visit the children.

I was excited to see Alice again and had brought a few new books to read to her and the kids.

As I entered the pediatric ward, I spotted Alice's room and made my way over. To my surprise, Aiden was already there, sitting by Alice's bed. He looked up and gave me a small smile.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," I replied.

Alice sat up in bed, a bright smile on her face. "Hazel!" she exclaimed. "I'm so glad you're here." She stood up and hugged me, and I hugged her back.

"Thanks, Alice. You look so much better, " I replied.

"I feel a lot better. Hopefully I go go home soon!" She exclaimed.

"I'm hope so too." I said, smiling at her. "I'm going to the play area. I'll see you in a bit."

"Can my brother come too?" Alice asked.

I looked up at Aiden and noticed he was already looking at me. I honestly wished he  didn’t. I looked back at Alice, "Of course, sweetheart," I said, and they both followed me to the play area.

I set up a few  different activities that the kids could do. The whole time, I could feel Aiden's eyes on me. It made me feel really self-conscious.

When the kids finished their activities, Dr. Anderson walked in and asked if I could help him with his rounds again. I walked out of the play area, and Aiden seemed mad for some reason.

"I'm sorry for asking you to do this once again. It just so much easier when you're around." Dr. Anderson said.

"It's alright, doctor..." I started to say, but Michael interrupted me.

"Hazel, please call me Michael." He said.

"It just seems so unprofessional since we are in the hospital. How about I call you by your name outside the hospital? " I replied.

"If you feel more comfortable that way, then that's fine," he replied, and I simply nodded.

I helped Michael with his round, and everything went smoothly.

Today, the last patient was Alice. We made put way to her room, and I felt nervous. Even tho I would see Aiden every day at work, I still felt awkward being around him.

It hasn't even been a week since I heard him and Spencer talking about me, and then a few days later, I get hired at his law firm. Talk about a crazy week.

Dr. Anderson checked on Alice and then ran out because he had an emergency. So I was left in the room with Alice and Aiden.

I looked at the time and realized it was lunchtime. "Hazel, my brother asked the doctor if I could have a hamburger, and he said it was ok. Can you have lunch with us? " Alice asked me.

"I don't want to intrude. Your brother is here and...." I started to say.

"Please, Hazel. Have lunch with us," Aiden said.

I tried to think of an excuse but couldn't think of one. "Ok," I simply said.

We walked to the garden and found a table we could all sit in.

"The Uber eats driver is outside. I'll be right back, " Aiden said to Alice and I. I simply nodded.

"Hazel," Alice said once her brother left.

"Yes, dear," I replied.

"Want to know a secret." She replied.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"My brother likes you," she said with a huge smile on her face. She couldn't be farther from the truth.

"I really don't think so, Alice," I said.

"Why not? You two would make an awesome couple. Then you could be my sister too, " she replied.

"That doesn't need to happen for me to be your sister. I can be your sister without that happening. Tell you what next time I come I'll bring you something we can both wear and that way we can be sisters, " I replied.

"Really?" She looked at me with big beautiful eyes.

"Of course," I said, and she pulled me into a hug.

Then Aiden came back, and we all had lunch together.

After lunch, Nurse Penny called me and asked me to help cheer up a few kids who were feeling down after a few rounds a quimo.

The day carried on, and before I knew it, it was 7 pm.

I went to say bye to all the kids, including Alice and her brother, and made my way to the elevators.

As I was waiting, Dr. Anderson walked next to me. "Heading home, Hazel?" He asked me.

"I am." I smiled at him.

"I'm heading out too. Would you like a ride home. It's pretty late, and maybe we could grab dinner together..." He started to say, and before I could answer, we were interrupted.

"Hazel. I'm so glad I caught you. Alice asked me to give you a ride home, and you know I can't say no to her, " Aiden said, and I just couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth.

My eyes went wide. "Um, thank you, Mr. Jameson, but...." I tried to respond, but Dr Anderson cut in.

"Mr. Jameson, you don't need to worry. I have already offered Miss Hart a ride home, Dr. Anderson replied.

Before I could even answer for myself, a nurse came by. "Dr. Anderson. I'm glad I caught you. You're needed in room 12." She said.

"Very well." Dr. Anderson replied, and the nurse walked away. "I guess Mr. Jameson can give you a ride, and we can take a rain check, Miss Hart, " he said and started to walk away.

I honestly didn't know what to respond to and had no idea what the heck was going on right now. "Sure, Dr. Anderson." I simply respond, and he walked away.

Then the elevator finally opened, and Aiden and I walked inside. Why am I always stuck in an elevator with Aiden!

After everything that just happened, i realized I didn't respond to anyone. "I dont need a ride, Mr. Jameson, " I replied.

"Aiden." He replied.

"I'm sorry?" I asked, confused.

"We are not at work call me Aiden," he responded.

"I don't think that's appropriate. You're my boss and...." I started to say.

"I am, but we are not at work. So please call me Aiden, " he responded.

I decided not to argue. "Fine. Aiden. As I was saying, I don't need a ride. I am perfectly capable of getting home on my own, " I said.

"I know you are. But I'm not having this fight with you again. We are heading in the same direction, so please let's be adults about this and spare us both the trouble of fighting and please accept a simple ride home, " he said, looking at me with intense eyes.

"Fine," I simply replied and followed him to his car.