Chapter 29

Hazel POV

Aiden grabbed a bottle of wine and walked to the den. We sat down, and he poured some wine. My phone vibrated, and I looked down at it. Michael had texted me, and I laughed before responding to the text.

"Is that Chloe?" Aiden asked me.

I shook my head. "No, it's Michael. He's just bored and sent me a meme," I explained.

"Michael?" he asked.

"Yeah, Dr. Anderson," I replied.

"Oh, right. I forgot how close you two were," he said. "Why is he texting you so late? Didn't you see him today at the hospital?"

"Well, I've been helping him out, and we've become friends. He texts me when he doesn't have anything to do during his long shifts, but I actually didn't see him today. He went to a medical convention," I responded. Aiden looked a bit annoyed.

"If he isn't on a late shift, why is he texting you now?" Aiden asked.

"He said they went out for drinks, and just like me, Michael doesn't like clubs or bars, so he told me he just thought of me," I said.

"Well, isn't he thoughtful," Aiden said, sounding a bit mad.

"Aiden, did I do something to upset you?" I asked him.

He drank his entire glass of wine, put it down, and then said, "Yes. When I asked you to sit and talk, I didn't plan to talk about 'Michael'," he emphasized Michael's name with his fingers.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You're the one who asked me," I said, looking away.

"No, Hazel, don't get upset. Sorry. It's just that I don't like you talking about Michael," he replied.

"Okay, I won't mention him if it makes you upset," I replied, still looking away.

"No, Hazel, I'm sorry. It's just..." he trailed off.

"Just what?" I asked him.

"Just that I don't like you talking about other men," he finally said. I turned towards him, and he was giving me an intense stare.

"Why? He's a friend, just like you," I replied.

"He doesn't look at you like a friend would," he said.

"Of course he does. How else would he look at me?" I asked him.

"No, he's looking at you just like I'm looking at you now," Aiden replied.

I felt myself blushing. "And how are you looking at me now?" I whispered, locking eyes with Aiden.

Then, without warning, Aiden kissed me. It wasn't like our last kiss; this kiss was more intense.

After what felt like an eternity, Aiden pulled away. I looked at him, shaking my head, and stood up. "No, I can't go through this again," I said.

Aiden stood up as well and said, "What do you mean?" he asked me.

"Aiden, you can't

just kiss me. It's really confusing me. I know you're not interested in me. Are you playing with me? Is this some kind of sick joke or prank?" I asked, my voice trembling.

"No, Hazel. Of course not. Why would you say that?" he asked, sounding hurt.

"Aiden, you made it clear last time that the kiss was a mistake. I completely understand. I know you would never feel anything towards me. You may go around kissing your friends like it's nothing, but I don't do that, especially since you were my first kiss," I said, instantly regretting my words. I covered my mouth with my hands, feeling extremely embarrassed.

Aiden looked at me in shock. "I was your first kiss?" he said, his voice filled with surprise. I turned around, giving my back to him, feeling mortified. "Hazel, I assure you, I don't go around kissing my friends. I'm sorry if I made you feel bad," he said sincerely.

"Let's just forget about the whole thing. We should go to bed," I said, walking towards the door. But Aiden stopped me.

"Hazel, please look at me," he pleaded. I hesitated but turned towards him.

"Hazel, I can't push my feelings aside anymore. I kissed you because I like you, Hazel Hart. You're not like anyone I've ever met before. You're sweet, caring, and the nicest person I have ever met," he confessed.

I shook my head, disbelief written all over my face. "No, Aiden, you're just confused. You've said so yourself. You would never be interested in me. Your last girlfriend is an international model. That's who you should be with, Aiden. I'm sure you'll come to your senses soon," I said, my voice filled with sadness.

Aiden sighed. "Hazel, I know I've apologized, but I'm sorry for what I once said about you. I was completely wrong. I don't need to come to my senses because I'm perfectly sane. I really like you, Hazel," he said earnestly.

I didn't know what to say to him. He had just told me he likes me, but I couldn't believe it. How could Aiden like me? There's just no way.

"Why don't we go to bed? It's really late," I said, trying to change the subject.

Aiden sighed again. "Okay, let me show you to your room," he said. I nodded and followed Aiden out of the den.