Chapter 32

Hazel POV

Saturday morning came, and I found myself waking up early, to get ready to head to the hospital.

I felt really tired, yesterday Chloe, insisted on taking me to see her designer friends and browse through a seemingly endless array of dresses. I tried on dress after dress, feeling a bit overwhelmed but grateful for Chloe's assistance.

Despite the long day ahead, I promised Chloe I would be home by 2 pm so she could help me get ready for the party.

As I arrived at the pediatric ward at the hospital, I greeted Nurse Penny, who wore a bright smile on her face.

"How are you, Hazel?" she asked cheerfully.

"I'm good, how about you?" I replied, returning her smile.

"Great. You know, Dr. Anderson has been asking for you," she said, gesturing in his direction.

"Oh, he's back from his convention, isn't he?" I inquired.

"He is, and he looked very excited this morning, wondering what time you would get here," she revealed mischievously. "You know, he's single, you know."

"Penny, please," I said, shaking my head playfully.

"Well, you're one of the few people he's actually nice to. That must mean something," she teased.

"It means we're friends," I clarified with a chuckle.

"Well, you two could be more than friends," she added with a wink.

"Penny," I said, my face flushing. "I'll see you later," I replied, bidding her goodbye and walking away.

Entering one of the rooms, I noticed a few kids who had just undergone a round of chemotherapy. Determined to lift their spirits, I approached them, trying my best to bring a smile to their faces.

At 1 pm, my phone rang, interrupting my interactions with the kids. I glanced down to see a text from Chloe, reminding me to head home. As always, I had lost track of time. I bid farewell to the children and made my way to the elevator, ready to start the next part of my day.

Walking down the hallway, I ran into Michael. "Hazel," he greeted me with a warm smile.

"Hi, Michael. You're back," I replied, returning his smile.

"I am, and believe me, I'm glad to be back," he said, his eyes gleaming. "I was actually going to look for you. I wanted to invite you to lunch."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I can't. I'm actually on my way out," I regretfully declined.

"Oh, you're leaving earlier than usual," he noted. "If I had known, I would have invited you to breakfast. I just got caught up today," he explained.

"How about a rain check?" I suggested, hoping to make it up to him.

He smiled and agreed, saying, "Of course." Then he paused and asked, "If you don't mind me asking, where are you heading?"

"It's Aiden's graduation party today," I revealed.

"Oh, I see," he replied, sounding slightly upset. "You seem really close."

"We're neighbors, and we work together," I explained, unsure of what else to say.

"I was actually invited," he shared, surprising me.

"Really?" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, one of my friends knows Aiden and invited me. I didn't really want to go, but knowing you'll be there just might change my mind," he said, causing my cheeks to flush.

"Well, if you do go, I'll see you later. Bye, Michael," I said, walking away before the conversation could escalate further.

"Bye, Hazel," he called after me.

Leaving the hospital, I made my way to the subway station, opting for the fastest route home. I arrived at 1:45 pm and hurriedly took a quick shower. Chloe was waiting for me in my room as I emerged from the bathroom, towel-drying my hair.

"Come on, Hazel, we need to get to work," Chloe urged me, already having her own hair and makeup done.

"Please don't overdo it, Chlo," I replied, sitting on the bed, feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation.

"Don't worry, Hayz. I got you," she assured me, grabbing the hairbrush and beginning to work her magic.

She started with my hair, skillfully creating a beautiful style, and then moved on to my makeup. I tried my best to stay still, but my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of the party. As she finished, I glanced at the clock and realized it was already 5 pm.

"Okay, all done," Chloe announced proudly. "Now, I need you to put on the shoes and the dress, and then you can look at yourself in the mirror," she instructed.

"Okay," I replied, heading into my closet and changing into the dress. It was a long, black dress, undeniably elegant, but dresses weren't usually my go-to choice. I sighed, reminding myself to step out of my comfort zone, and slipped into the dress, along with the shoes Chloe had picked out.

I walked out of the closet, and Chloe's eyes widened with delight. "Hazel, you look so beautiful! Why haven't you let me do your hair and makeup before?" she exclaimed.

"Because I don't like being your guinea pig," I replied with a teasing smile.

"Well, you should! I did a fabulous job," she proudly declared.

"Can I look at myself in the mirror now?" I asked, eager to see the final result.

"Be my guest," she said, gesturing toward the full-length mirror.

I cautiously approached the mirror, examining my reflection. I looked completely different, almost unrecognizable. "So, what do you think?" Chloe asked, standing behind me.

"It's nice. I just look so different," I confessed, feeling a mixture of awe and uncertainty.

"You look amazing, Hayz. Have a little more confidence in yourself," she encouraged.

"I'll try," I replied, determined to embrace the transformation.

"Okay, I'm going to get changed, and then we can go," Chloe said, leaving the room.

I took one last glance at myself in the mirror, still feeling a bit unfamiliar with the image before me.

Chloe announced that she was ready, and together, we made our way to the venue, ready to attend Aiden's graduation party and face whatever the night had in store for us.