Chapter 17

Olivia had totally missed out on the most important person in the company. Her eyes followed the tall figure heading to Alexander and the other partners to greet them. The female colleagues gossip and chuckle. "He's so hot!!!" Jane commented."Oh my God! He'll never cease to impress us every time he visits!" Cecilia exclaimed in awe.Then Cecilia turned to Olivia, "He is Lucas Kennedy. The other partner of Mr. Sterling, the hottest bachelor in town!"Olivia remained silent and not even bothered about what other women had to say about Lucas. All of a sudden, Lucas paced towards them. The girls started to fidget, except Olivia."Hi, Olivia. How are you?" Lucas extended his hand towards Olivia.Since they were in public and at the workplace, Olivia hid her contempt and put a fake smile on her face.Contempt?! Did she really mean that? How could she?"I'm good, Mr. Lucas," Olivia replied casually.Jane, Cecilia, and the others gaped. "How is your first day? How is the project going?" Lucas questioned. "All good, thanks for asking," Olivia answered politely. "Great, then. I'll catch you later," Lucas drew closer to Olivia's face as he said those words as if he was up to something. Olivia felt the warmth emanating from Lucas and she nearly lost a breath. The scenes from their lovemaking flashed before her eyes and she had to steer her mind back as soon as possible before Lucas sensed her uneasiness. It seemed like Lucas was making love to her with his words and his gaze.Furthermore, among her colleagues, she did not want to attract any attention to her. Lucas flashed a smile at Olivia and all the girls around them nearly fainted. It seemed he never smiled. "Such a cute smile he has!" Jane whispered, but it was loud enough for Lucas and Olivia to hear."Thanks, Jane," Lucas smirked at her.Olivia rolled her eyes. He was flirting back and that drove Olivia angrier. "Mr. Lucas, it's just--it's the first time we see you sm--mile," Jane stuttered."That's fine... Compliments are very much welcomed. But if you'll excuse me, ladies, I've got to meet the other partners," Lucas spoke gracefully."No problem, Mr. Lucas," Jane said. Before turning to leave, Lucas glanced at Olivia and smirked.The other girls were surprised."Oh, Lord! What was that, Olivia? I think Mr. Lucas is head over heels for you," Cecilia commented."I think so too," Jane said happily."Oh, come on," Olivia replied, but she knew that it was pretty obvious; so obvious that even Alexander Sterling might have taken notice of it.***Olivia was finally home after a great day at the office, minus the awkward moment with Lucas Kennedy. Hence, she decided to call Amelia. But then, she saw her incoming call. This was the kind of friendship they shared. They were always in sync."Hey, girl! How are you doing? I was going to call, you!!!" Olivia exclaimed with excitement."Ha! Ha! We're so connected, you see?!" Amelia giggled because it was not the first time that such a thing happened. "Wanna hang out?" Olivia asked."Of course! Where do you want to go?!" Amelia asked frantically. "How about some window shopping?" Olivia suggested."Yeah, that would be great! I am already tired of restaurants and bars!""So, I meet you at the mall in about half an hour?" Olivia asked."No way! I'm coming to pick you up!" Amelia said."Okay. Call me when you're here." Olivia said.*** At the mall, both Olivia and Amelia checked the new outfits, shoes and accessories in the stores. Needless to say, the salesgirls kept on pushing them for a purchase. But the girls knew that soon they would receive their salaries and they could pamper themselves a bit, so they politely declined with excuses like; not to their taste, the colour was off-putting and too expensive.Then Amelia finally had to say, "I'll go to the ATM, withdraw cash and be right back.""We accept cards, miss," the smart salesgirl informed."I know. But I don't like to use my card everywhere," Amelia replied in a strict tone.The girl had no choice but to nod. Then, both girls never came back to the store. "I feel bad for this girl," Olivia said."Me too. But what can we do? If we had bought that dress, we wouldn't have food for weeks!""Right. She was forcing us too much anyway. I think we should stop going to the stores. Let's eat something," Olivia recommended. "Great idea," Amelia agreed. "But where?" Olivia pondered."How about Olive's?" Amelia asked."Right! I'm dying for a Mom's Chicken Noodles anyway!""And I'm craving for an Avocado toast!" Amelia added.Without losing any minute, the two girls headed to the café before it closed at 7 PM.For the time being, this was the place they could afford. As they both got there, they ordered their favourite food. Once they reached the place, it was not that crowded. The girls ordered, paid and just as Olivia turned around, she spotted someone in the queue behind Amelia. The gentleman smiled and Olivia could not believe that he was here. Her heart did various somersaults.