Chapter 9 - Lost Altitude

I found myself tearing through the air and slamming into a wall, a quick sharp pain jabbing into my cheekbone. When I managed to crawl to my knees and stand I felt a small drop of blood drip down my cheek from where the glass had left a small cut.

My thoughts immediately went to Loki and began to run to his cell. On the way I heard talk of an engine needing repair through my earpiece and that Stark was going to fix it, but that wasn't my concern. Hopefully Banner was right and he could keep himself under control, but I knew I had to keep Loki locked up.

I pounded in the security key and the doors slid open. Loki was sitting on the bench, his eyes instantly landing on me as I shut the doors behind me, but not before hearing a loud menacing roar echo down the corridors. I looked blankly at the closed metal revolving doors for a moment before whipping my head back around to see a smiling god of mischief.

I ran down the stairs and then opened up the lab all the while listening to different people talk through the headpiece. Steve was apparently helping Tony with the turbine.

"What does it look like in there?" Tony had asked.

"Well it seems to run on some form of electricity." Steve replied. I guess having a guy who has been asleep since the end of World War II help with the mechanics wasn't the best idea in the world, but Tony no doubt would talk him through it.

"You're bleeding." Loki stated as he stood and made his way to the edge of the glass. Some part of me wanted to drop the cage, but if the Hulk had woken up then we were going to need it no doubt.

"Well spotted, Sherlock."

Another roar erupted throughout the building and through my earpiece causing me to cringe at the high pitched noise ringing in my eardrum. Nat would have stayed with Banner after the explosion so I could only assume it was her that was with him. My heart pounded in my chest and it was all I could do to stop my hands from shaking.

"You seem concerned... rattled." Loki offered. I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes, forcing my heart to slow to a steady pace as I composed myself.

"Director?" I asked into the microphone.

"Stay with Loki, Agent Morgan, Thor is helping Agent Romanoff with the Hulk." Fury said back, seemingly knowing what I was thinking. "Agent Coulson is on his way to you."

After a few more gunshots heard through the earpiece and more than a few Hulk roars I ripped the thing out and threw it too the side, not liking the migraine it was giving me.

"Barton said you could stand your own in a fight... Alexis." Loki taunted. "Against everyday people... but not me and not the others in your team, Agent Barton included. So what's your plan?" He asked just as there was a jolt and I instantly recognised that we were suddenly losing altitude.

Another loud explosion that yet again sent me flying backwards, harder this time, into a wall as half of my lab was destroyed leaving a gaping hole into thin air outside. I could now feel a scorching in my left shoulder and looked down to see angry burn marks that had seared through my black long sleeved top.

I somehow managed to stumble back onto my feet just in time for three S.H.I.E.L.D. dressed agents to come flying through the hole on bungee wires that would have connected to a higher level.

I knew immediately that they weren't here to help and as my eyes darted around the room a found the weapon I had been building lying twenty metres away, thrown across the room in the blast. This was the last time I would ever not hide extra weapons in my outfit. It would also be the last time I throw away my earpiece.

One of the men charged at me while the other two made their way to Loki's cage. Not wanting to waste anytime, my attacker pulled out a 9mm handgun and fired.