CHAPTER SEVEN: PIP'S POV

Damien's friendly demeanor didn't last all that long. He was his original personality, the hardened demon that Pip had expected him to act like in the first place. He wished he was back to his artificial sweetness, however. He preferred it much better.
The two of them walked along the bridge in stifling silence. Their footsteps echoes off the black granite (was it really granite? Pip couldn't tell) and the sound amplified as it boomed around the empty space that surrounded them. Getting closer to the edge, Pip tried to look over the railing siding the bridge to try to find a bottom, or a cliff that bordered the first circle, something.
"Get away from the ledge." Damien said calmly.
"Oh. Of course." Pip took one step away backwards towards the center of the bridge. Pip assumed Damien was saying that out of minor concern the he may end up falling off. But one step proved Pip wrong. A flying spire of fire whizzed directly past Pip's ear, only a few centimeters from lopping it right off.
"Ah!!" Pip stumbled back into Damien, who pushed Pip off with a hiss.
"Damien, whatever was that??" Pip asked, keeping his posture low to the ground, cupping his hand to his ear, trying to ease the sound of the arrow that still lingered in his ear.
"It's fine, this happens every time. This bridge judges sinners into circles." As Damien said that, bright orange light started to fill the darkness below them, and roars of demonic creatures rattled the stone beneath their feet.
"What? But I thought the hat—?" Pip cut off his sentence, implying that he thought that the hat was the one who sorted people into circles.
"No, I did that for fun. This is the actual sorting." Damien turned his head to face away from Pip, but Pip could hear him chuckling at his own prank.
The roaring and screeching below them grew louder and louder, and the fire brighter. The light transformed the bridge, the red rubies spreading their color across it until the whole thing had turned blood-red. That's when the bridge began to shake and crumble.
"Damien?!" Pip had his knees pressed against each other as he tried to hold on to his balance. The railings had already since crumbled, leaving nothing to grab onto. The rocks from the bridge fell further and further into the flames until they disintegrated and then they were no more.
"Hold on to me." Damien grabbed Pip's waist, pulling him close. Pip crashed into his chest as Damien's wings unfurled from his back, protecting them from more arrows of fire. By now the bridge had crumbled into a thin line of thick rock. Pip stumbled as rock fell around him until he could only stand on the balls of his feet. He gripped Damien like his life depended on it. Pip was too busy paying attention to the flames licking at his feet to notice the look Damien gave him, mixed with so many emotions that he could afford to feel in this moment because he's walked this bridge countless times to know they were in no real danger.
The rumbling grew stronger, and if Damien wasn't here right now with his impeccable balance and shielding wings, Pip was sure he would've fallen into the pit way before this. A great giant rose from the fire in front if them, a great demonic body rising away from the flame that lingered at its torso. Its eyes glowed bright yellow, eyeing the black sky and roaring, causing the wire to tremble to a point where Pip was afraid it would snap in two.
Then the great demon caught sight of the two kids on the wire. The malevolence that it had entered with instantly disappeared and was instantly replaced with respect.
"Ah, Damien Thorn, esteemed heir of Satan," The demon bowed ever so slowly, fire ducking away from the movement.
"Yup. Let me through." Damien sounded disinterested and frankly annoyed. Pip looked up at his face. He thought about how powerful Damien is if this giant gentleman was bowing to him, a tiny skinny black-plaid boy.
"Right away, my lord." The being stepped aside as a staircase seemingly made of glass appeared before them, and while the demon bowed his head in loyalty to the Prince, Damien and Pip walked down the stairs and into the flames.

END OF CHAPTER SEVEN

(By the way, I have started writing South Park Ship Oneshots! If you want, you check them out on my profile!!)