23

"Are you sure about this?" Eva asked Kenzie hesitantly. The girls had managed to convince her to come with them to visit a few of their favorite shops in town. There was a sale or something.

Eva wasn't magically cured just because she ate dinner with everybody. She had managed to do it two nights in a row though, which was a huge accomplishment, but going into a store that was going to be busy was a completely different story. She didn't want to bring down the fun.

"Of course we're sure," Bri said. "And whenever you want to leave, or if you need a break, just let us know."

"Just please don't go too far," Eva said as she stepped out of the car, following them into the boutique clothing store.

It wasn't nearly as busy as Eva expected, but she could still feel her pounding heartbeat in her chest as she trailed behind her two friends.

"I got an interview for that job I wanted," Bri told Kenzie as they flipped through a rack. Occasionally, they would pull something and drape it over their arms.

"That's great. I know you were hoping for it," Kenzie said back.

Bri turned to Eva. "My last job, my mom showed up and got me fired."

"Why would she do that?" Eva asked, pulling a blue dress down from the rack in front of her. It was soft and simple.

"Because she is psychotic. She was selling me out to her creepy boyfriends until Graham came along," Bri said. "It's been hard to hold a job since. I let her get in my head."

Eva didn't know much about Bri and Kenzie's background, and there wasn't really a polite way to ask.

"I think that's more than reasonable," Eva said.

"That dress is so cute, Eva. You should try it on," Kenzie said. 

Eva held it up to her body. She had never worn a dress before, not that she could remember anyway. It was always jeans and a plain T-shirt, like she was wearing now.

Eva tried the dress on. It was a light blue long-sleeve with white flowers that fell to her knees. She actually really liked how it fit. She found a few tops that she liked, too.

"Will one of you guys cut my hair?" Eva asked curiously as they made their way back to the car.

"Really?" Bri asked. "I don't think I am qualified enough for that. I dye mine, but never cut it."

"Me too. My hair hardly ever gets cut," Bri added. "Why don't we take you somewhere to get it done? We have Graham's credit card."

Eva thought it over, but she was feeling pretty adventurous, and Bri and Kenzie would never let anything happen to her. Eva agreed.

---

Eva took her bag up to her bedroom, reaching up to brush a few stray pieces of hair out of her face. It was a weird feeling.

She had let the hairdresser do whatever she felt was best because she didn't have any idea what she wanted, just that she wanted to be different.

She had cut it pretty short, just below her shoulders, and had added some layers or whatever she had called them. Eva liked it a lot. It made her feel older, updated, brand new.

Kenzie had left the salon to visit a friend in the tattoo shop next door, and that friend had offered to pierce Eva's ears for free. Eva didn't even hesitate. She had always wanted to wear earrings, and she loved Kenzie's.

It didn't hurt nearly as bad as she was expecting.

She was definitely exhausted from all of her adventures, but she couldn't wait to show Graham, Pierce and Miles.

"We were wondering when you would be back," Miles teased, poking his head into the room after he knocked on her door. "Did you shop until you dropped, Evie?"

Miles stepped inside with Graham and Pierce following. It took them a minute to notice the changes.

"Wow," Graham breathed, stepping closer so he could take her hands. "Look at you."

"Do you like it?" Eva asked.

"You looking stunning," Miles said. "Not that you didn't before, but I can tell that it makes you feel different."

It did make her feel different, but in a really good way, like she was shedding layers of her past self that had been hurt for years.

Pierce took a strand of hair between his fingers, and that's when they noticed her ears.

"Absolutely beautiful," Pierce said.

"They look a little red, though," Graham mumbled, his fingers just barely brushing over her face, close but not touching her ears.

"They're supposed to," she said. "For a little while."

Graham leaned down for a kiss, pushing his mouth firmly onto hers.

"What about the sale? Did you get any new clothes?" Graham asked when he pulled back.

"I found a few things," Eva said.

"Can we see?" Pierce asked.

"Yeah. Will you try them on for us?" Miles asked.

Eva felt herself blush. All three of them had their undivided attention on her, and it felt different too. She struggled to catch her breath, but in a really good way.

"Try them on?" she repeated.

"We have to get the full idea," Graham said. "with your new look."

She bit back her smile. She liked having their devoted attention, and she liked that they were always eager to get to know the things that made her happy.

She agreed, taking her bag into the bathroom. She didn't have much, but she did want them to see that pretty dress she got.

She stepped out into her bedroom, already blushing. Her three guys had moved to sit on her bed, like she was a model in some show. She felt silly, but also pretty.

They gestured her closer.

"I like this a lot," Pierce said. "The blue looks good on you."

"It does look good, but your model walk could use improvement," Miles said, standing up. He walked all the way to her wall, spinning around and doing some silly strut back to them.

"Is that how models walk, Miles?" Graham asked, amused.

"I'm pretty sure it is," Miles said. "Maybe I should quit working for you and become one professionally."

Pierce rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to her.

"Thank you for letting me use your card today, Graham," Eva added.

"You're very welcome, honey," Graham smiled. "I'm glad you found some things you liked, and we are very proud of you for going outside of your comfort zone. We love the new look."

Miles hummed in agreement, taking her hand. He coaxed her into a twirl, and she tried to muffle her laugh.

"It is very sexy," he agreed, grinning.