17

Miles had really fluffy hair. It always looked so soft, especially when it reflected the warm sun.

"Earth to Eva," Bri said, waving her hand in front of her face. "You're practically drooling."

"I am not," she mumbled, looking back down at her splayed book.

It was another really nice day. Miles and Pierce were cleaning up the huge yard, and Eva had sat outside on the patio to be near them. Bri had just got back from volunteering and was eating a sandwich.

Bri gave a gentle laugh. "Just go out there."

"They're in the middle of something."

"So? Just pick up some sticks or something. You obviously want to be with them," Bri said.

Eva closed her book. "You're starting to sound like Kenzie by the way."

She scoffed a bit, shooing her out of her seat.

"I was wondering when you would be coming over here, sunshine," Miles grinned.  Eva felt the heat in her cheeks that was becoming way too familiar.

"What are you doing?" she asked. It was obvious what Pierce was doing. He was working on the lawn mower.

"I'm supervising," Miles said.

"He's avoiding doing his own work," Pierce answered.

"I have no meetings, nothing due. I'm enjoying the nice weather," he said, quietly adding, "and the view."

Pierce rolled his eyes.

"What do you think of the four of us going out together this afternoon?" Miles asked. She noticed his eyes fleeting over to Bri. She was too far to hear anything.

It made Eva feel special to be a part of something that they kept so private.

"Out?" she asked.

"Yep," he said. "There's this really great donut shop, and-"

Eva looked at Pierce who was already looking at her. Miles caught their look and he gasped.

"Pierce, you didn't," he said.

Eva covered her mouth, hiding her immediate smile. She couldn't control it. She had never ever felt like this before.

"What?" Pierce shrugged, standing up from his crouched position. "She helped me with groceries. Of course I was going to buy her a donut."

"And hot chocolate," Eva whispered.

Miles gave another dramatic gasp.

"Come on, Evie. You can't give away all of our secrets," Pierce teased. She could tell by the way his features brightened that he wasn't actually upset. She liked seeing him happy. He was always so serious.

"I'll talk to Graham," Miles said. "See what he thinks. If not donuts, then maybe ice-cream."

Pierce pulled the starter cord of the lawnmower. It sputtered for a moment, but surprisingly started right up. It was loud by her ears. He shut it back off.

"Nice," Miles said. "We did good."

Pierce shook his head, not even bothering to roll his eyes this time.

"Let me mow the grass back here and then we can go," Pierce said.

Eva followed Miles inside and into Graham's office. He was on the phone when they walked in, wearing dress clothes. The white dress shirt was unbuttoned a bit at the top, revealing his chest.

Eva really did have to make sure she wasn't drooling this time. What was going on today? It seemed like only recently her feelings towards them had become actual feelings. She had never been attracted to another person before, let alone three. She didn't mind them though.

She was safe with them. She was safe here.

The thought was like she had been doused in ice cold water. She took a fumbling step back, nearly falling if Miles hadn't reached to steady her by gripping her arms.

"Woah there," he said. "You okay?"

Graham set his phone down, standing up.

"Are you dizzy, baby?" Graham asked, brushing his fingers over her forehead. "You don't feel warm."

Eva wrapped her arms around Miles, pressing her face into his chest.

"It's okay," Miles soothed. "I've got you."

He leaned down to kiss her forehead. Her heart fluttered. They were all so sweet to her.

"What happened?" Miles asked softly, humming deeply. "Did we say or do something?"

"No," she answered. "I just- I feel safe here."

He gave a warm chuckle, squeezing her tight. "Isn't she the cutest, Graham?"

"And the sweetest," he said. "You are safe here, Evie."

"With you guys," she added.

Miles leaned down and her breath caught in her throat, thinking he might kiss her. His cheek brushed against hers. The simple affection made her feel giddy.

Miles straightened.

"We came in here to ask you if you want to join us for ice-cream or donuts in a bit," Miles said to Graham, still cradling her tightly to his chest. She liked it though.

"I have a few things to finish up here, but then I would love to," Graham said.