20

Eva felt a little unsure after that night, like she no longer knew where she stood with the three men. It's not that she had doubts, but sharing a bed seemed like a much bigger step to her than for them, and she didn't really know how to tell them that.

How did she tell them that she wanted to share a bed every night? She didn't want to impose on their space.

And she knew they probably weren't going to ask her, in fear that that wasn't what she wanted.

"Can you set the table for me?" Rosetta asked, flipping a pancake with expertise.

Eva counted out the plates, hesitating before grabbing an extra one for herself. If Pierce and Miles were going to be there, then there was no reason why she couldn't be.

Graham usually ate breakfast on his own, already doing work for the day. Dinner was the only meal he usually ate with everybody.

Eva waited until the dining room was full, which was a big mistake. She didn't want to go in there and disrupt everybody. She wouldn't know where to sit, and she probably wouldn't even be able to eat.

She took her plate back in the kitchen, filling it and taking it the long way back to her room. She tried to pretend that it didn't hurt, but of course it did. She was so close. She was pretty much friends with the majority of people in that space. She knew she wouldn't be hurt by them.

It didn't seem to matter. She couldn't get herself to do it.

She ate her breakfast, before deciding to find Graham. Hopefully Pierce and Miles would also be there by now, so she could talk to them together.

Eva reached up to knock on Graham's office door since it was closed. He yelled for her to enter.

Her breath caught in her throat and she froze.

"Eva," Graham said, standing up from his desk. "This is my new business partner James Michael. He owns a bar and restaurant in town."

James Michael was the very first master that she had ever been sold to, after the orphanage.

Graham was friends with him.

She had a sickening realization that she didn't know anything about Graham. She should've found out everything there was to know about him before letting her feelings get involved. This was bound to happen, and it was all her fault.

James looked her over. His expression was blank, polite even, and she wondered if he remembered her. She was so young at the time.

She definitely remembered him. He had dislocated her shoulder within two days of living with him.

She couldn't breathe. Her lungs were being squeezed, tightened in someone's fist.

She turned, walking out of the office, before running up to her room.

She paced for a second, unsure of what to do. She couldn't stay, right?

But Graham probably didn't know. He did say new business partner, giving her the impression that their relationship was in the early stages.

Graham had such an influence on the community. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that he was probably acquaintances with some of her abusers.

There was a knock on her bedroom door and she resisted the urge to tell them to go away.

Pierce and Miles stepped inside.

"Hey, Evie. Graham said something had upset you," Pierce said. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's Eva," she corrected, keeping her voice sharp. "I want to leave."

She was so stupid. She should have seen this coming.

"Okay," Miles agreed quietly, his brows furrowing a bit with confusion. He stepped closer to Pierce. "We can go out for a few hours."

"I meant leave here," she said. "I don't want to live here any longer."

Pierce leaned down to say something to Miles, something she didn't catch, but she took a guess when Miles left the room.

"We can make that work," Pierce said softly. "It won't happen immediately, but Graham can get you a job, and we can look for you a place to stay."

She felt helpless. She couldn't even eat breakfast with her friends. She couldn't be out there on her own.

Graham knocked before he entered the room, with Miles right behind.

"Come. Let's sit," Graham said, taking a seat on the edge of her bed. He patted the space next to him, and Eva hesitantly moved over to him. Pierce and Miles were able to sit on the other side.

"Miles said that you wanted to leave," Graham said. His gaze was intense, not waivering. He had always been so intuitive.

Eva nodded, although she wasn't quite sure anymore. She wasn't sure of anything except for the fact that being near all three of them just felt right. It was so confusing.

"That's okay, Eva. I told you before that I could help you figure it out, and I still will, but I know you haven't thought about this. You're wanting to leave because of something I did, not because you want to."

She nodded again , feeling those irritating burning tears drip onto her cheeks. She reached up to try to brush them away.

"What happened?" Graham asked. "Was it James?"

She didn't even have to respond because her tears fell faster. She knew he already knew.

"Fuck," Graham whispered. The curse was gentle and out of place. She had only ever heard him say it a few times prior when he was quite upset.

"James owned you. Didn't he?"

"He was the first," Eva managed, giving up on trying to rid of her tears.

"I didn't know," Graham said, lifting his hand slowly so he could cup her cheek. His thumb skimmed away some of her tears.

"They don't give away any kind of documentation at the auctions. It's just an exchange of money," Pierce added.

"I'm so sorry," Graham said, so sincerely, so heartbroken, that Eva sobbed.

Pierce was the one who reached for her, lifting her onto his lap and wrapping her up tight in his arms. She cried into his chest, keeping a firm grip on the front of his shirt to prevent him from leaving.

"I've got you," Pierce mumbled.

It took a few moments for her tears to subside. She sniffled as she straightened up.

"Can you make me a list?" Graham asked. "I will guarantee that you will never cross paths with any of them ever again."

"I just know first names of some," Eva admitted, rubbing her eyes.

"I can work with first names."

It was quiet for a moment. She was unsure of what to say.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, not liking the way snapping at Pierce and Miles made her feel. They didn't deserve that. She pressed her lips to the side of Pierce's neck.

Pierce exhaled, like he was sighing in relief.

"If you still want to leave, I will help you," Graham said. "But I hope you know that the three of us want you to stay. We want you to be here, with us."

"What does that mean exactly?" she asked. "I've just been confused since-"

"Since we shared a bed together?" That was Pierce. "You don't need to be afraid to ask us."

Miles cupped her cheeks, leaning down so his nose brushed with hers.

"We never want to make you feel like you have to do anything, Eva. We were just waiting for you to let us know," Miles said. It was weird to hear him say Eva.

"Evie," she corrected quietly, feeling a blush creep up her neck.

"Evie," Pierce repeated, letting his nose skim along her cheek.