2

Eva glanced into the eyes of the gathering crowd.

Auctions were exactly how one would picture them. There were several men and women like her that were lined up on a platform, given a number, and auctioned off like they were nothing more than livestock.

Some might find it relieving to be sold, but most of the time Eva dreaded it. It was hard to tell where she would end up, and what her new life would be. Figuring out her masters was horrible. It was a treacherous line, a game that they usually enjoyed way too much, as she tried to stay within the ill-defined bounds.

It was easier to mess up when she didn't know the rules.

A new master could also be crueler than her last. They could hurt her more, in different ways. It was terrifying.

Eva struggled to focus her vision. Her master, the one who was selling her, had done as promised and hit her two additional nights with his belt. Her back was raw. It felt shredded in places, and she knew it was going to get infected. She couldn't reach it to clean it very well.

She found her old master in the crowd. He was drinking and laughing boisterously without a care in the world.

She felt nauseous, woozy even. She wondered if the crowd was swaying or if it was her. She couldn't hear what the announcer was saying with all of the blood rushing through her ears, pounding her temple violently.

Someone jerked her arm, and she gasped.

"Come on, girl. You've been sold," the announcer grunted, pulling on her harshly. Eva tried not to wince.

There was a table set up off of the left side of the platform. Her former master was signing paperwork with two other men.

Two? Eva was doomed. She knew that two meant that she would be used for sexual pleasure, and that was something that she had always worried about when being sold. Other than a few inappropriate touches, no one had ever violated her in that way.

The taller man shook her old master's hand after handing him a check. They didn't even glance her way.

The shorter of the two men, although he wasn't short by any means, turned to the announcer, who still held her in his tight grip.

"You can let her go now," he said, practically shooing him away.

After her old master was gone, she was left with two new ones. They were younger than the others had been before, tall, and well built. Their clothes fit them perfectly, but didn't scream overtly wealthy like the others who preferred to flaunt.

"She is very badly hurt, Pierce," the shorter one said. He had blonde hair that was longer than most preferred to keep.

The one he called Pierce lifted her chin very gently, just a feather of a touch.

"Where are you hurt?" he asked, his dark eyes captivating hers, a pool of swirling cinnamon that flickered gold as they caught the lowering sun.

She considered the question before she answered him. She knew this was all a trick, a facade, but not answering a direct question had to be one of the worst ways to disrespect your master.

"My back, sir," she whispered.

Pierce stepped back. "Miles is going to lift your shirt, okay? There's not much we can do here, but we will make sure that we get the doctor for you back at the house."

Miles touch was similar to Pierce's. It was light, and it seemed as though he was cautious about not touching her skin.

"Fuck," Miles whispered. "We should go, Pierce. Call Graham in the car, and tell him it's an emergency."

Miles lowered her shirt.

"I'll get the car," Pierce said, walking off.

Eva was incredibly confused. Why would she need to see a doctor? She wasn't worth that much trouble. This was so strange. Maybe they wanted her to be healthy so she would be worth more to them later.

The pain in her back was increasing every second. It felt like her skin was going to fall off at any given moment. It was stiff with dried blood, and her whole body was covered in goosebumps.

Pierce pulled the car up, and Miles helped Eva into the backseat.

"I know it's probably not the most comfortable, but it will be a quick ride," Miles told her, shutting the door softly.

The car was nice, but not at all what she had expected. The seats were plush and soft beneath her, and the heat was warm. She hardly ever rode in a car, usually in the bed of a truck of some sort.

Eva listened to Miles and Pierce talk, even though she knew she wasn't supposed to. She only caught bits and pieces.

"Graham will have the doctor there when we arrive," Pierce said.

She couldn't hear what Miles said next.

"-not to fall asleep because of blood loss."

Eva's eyes were growing heavy, difficult to keep open as the gentle rock of the car lulled her into a peaceful state. Why was she so comfortable? This was really bad. She didn't expect to give up so soon.

She jerked awake as a loud sound filled the car, coming from the speakers near the bottom of the door, near her feet.

Was that music? When was the last time that she heard music?

This wasn't any music; this was something heavy with yelling and loud drums, and it pierced through her already throbbing forehead. What was this racket?

The car exited the road and went up a driveway through a gate. Eva had to stop her mouth from dropping open. This is where they lived? It looked like five houses put together.

Pierce shut the car off, the music fading with it. Thank goodness for that.

He opened her car door, offering her his hand. She accepted it, knowing she wouldn't be able to stand up without it.

Her legs crumbled as soon as she put weight on them.

"It's okay," Pierce said quietly. "You're going to be okay."

He reached down to scoop her up, keeping a steady arm under her legs, and his other around her back, just lightly, as he carried her inside.