Chapter 6

The final bell rang out, dismissing classes for the day. Walking out of my 7th period I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I slipped it out and nearly missed a step as I read the message.

Unknown: I am going to find you.

An eerie chill ran down my spine as the words swam around my head. I didn't have the number saved, but something deep in my gut told me it was someone I knew. Jacob, who had been walking with me glanced over my shoulder at my sudden unease.

"What's wrong?" he asked, worry in his voice.

"Nothing," I replied, not looking up. I deleted the message and went to slip my phone back into my pocket, but Jacob snatched it before I could lock it. A large deviant smile spread across his face as he began typing. Before I could shout, he slipped the phone back into my hand.

"Mrs. Alberts was pretty insistent on you helping me get caught up," he said. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks as I looked down to find he added his number into my phone. "This way it's easier." He finished with a wink.

I felt butterflies in my stomach at his gesture. I didn't remember having this strong a feeling for anyone before. Especially not after knowing them for a few hours. Was this what it felt like to have a crush? I've never felt drawn to anyone before. I wondered if it had anything to do with Zach. I quickly typed out a message and sent it over to him. He pulled his phone out with a laugh.

"You think I would have given you a fake?" He wiped the tears from his eyes as his laughter filled the hall. I couldn't help but join in. We made our way out of the building and walked over to the overhang where he parked his bike. His bike matched his helmet perfectly, it was a sleek glossy black sports bike with lime green accents. It was obvious that it was designed for fast speed. Jacob noticed my attention and turned to me with a sly smile.

"Want a ride?" He extended the helmet towards me. I considered the idea, but a small honk caught my attention. I turned and saw the mint green of Alex's car sitting in front of the school.

"Tempting," I said, drawing out my words. "But my stepsister is waiting." I gestured towards where her car was parked. He almost seemed disappointed.

"Text me," I smiled at him before turning and heading towards Alex. I felt his gaze on my back as I walked away, halfway to the car, I turned back and gave him a small wink. I saw his lips turn up into a smile as he chuckled at me as he swung his leg over the bike. He pulled a pair of gloves out of the helmet before tugging it over his head. Once he was suited up, his bike revved up and he started backing out. He turned to look at me once more before flipping the visor down and zooming off.

I pulled open the car door and slid into the passenger seat. I couldn't help the smile plastered on my face.

"Wipe the drool off your face little sister," Alex said with a hint of annoyance.

"What?" The smile immediately left my face. She only used 'little sister' on me when she was irritated.

"Mom and Dad are pissed," she turned and looked at me. "Mr. Ford called." I felt the color drain from my face.

"Shit."

Once we got home, my mom and Jay were standing in the kitchen waiting for me. I could feel the anger radiating off of them. Fear suddenly coursed through me; I couldn't understand why. As soon as they saw me, Jay stormed over and stood 6 inches from my face.

"You have a lot of nerve." Jay was the first to speak. "How dare you disrespect your mother and I." His anger was thick in the air, his sudden outburst caught me by surprise. He had always treated me like shit, but never openly in front of my mom and Alex. It seemed like he was going to swing. Alex stepped in, pushing him back from me.