2.5 the girl next door is me

grab your tissues...

Addie had walked home, turning off her cell phone as her friends blew it up, not in the mood to talk things out. Addie was standing in the kitchen, staring into the fridge when frantic knocking startled her out of her trance.

She made her way to the door, surprised to see Chris on the other side, who did not look happy. Addie sighed deeply before opening the door for him, barely having enough time to step to the side to let him enter the house. He was definitely pissed.

"What the fuck was that all about?!" He exclaimed, sassily putting his hands on his hips and giving Addie a look of disapproval, much like her father would.

Addie had to fight a grin, "She had it coming." She shrugged, brushing past the boy to go into the living room. If she was going to be lectured, she might as well be comfortable. Chris angrily followed her, coming to stand directly in front of her.

"Well what did she say to you?" He asked, worried about whatever Gwen had said to set her off. What he really wanted to do was demand the truth, because he was terrified she was going to shut him out again. All of them.

Addie shook her head, frowning, "It was stupid really, I just lost my temper." She explained, refusing to meet his eyes and answer his question.

Chris being as stubborn as he is, is refusing to let it go.

"Stop avoiding my question, Ads." He quietly spoke, coming to sit next to her. He brought a hand to her chin and lifted her face, so she had no choice but to look him in the eye.

Addie sighed, crossing her arms, "She was saying shit about talking to you on snap, how good you looked today, basically said she was gonna hit you up later tonight. Making fun of what I wore today, and saying you cheated on me. With her." Addie explained, hating the hurtful look that crossed Chris' face as her words sunk in.

"You believe her?" He whispered, now it was his turn to avoid her eyes. Addie's heart cracked at the action, reaching forward to grab his hand and intertwine their fingers.

"Chris, I don't believe her. She just got under my skin.." Addie trailed off, hearing Chris let out a breath of relief. "She knows Chase, Chris." She whispered, watching as Chris' head shot up, a worried expression settled on his face.

Chris shook his head in disbelief, "What did she say about him?' Chris asked, making Addie sigh loudly, leaning back on the couch. The second Addie's hand left Chris', he missed it.

"Not a lot, just that I was deserving of everything that Chase did to me because I push people out so quickly." She stated, shrugging. If Addie was totally honest, she didn't care about what Gwen said. She only cares about the fact Gwen, of all people, knows what she has been through.

Addie just wanted to get away from Chase, and she knew what she was going to have to do in order to find that peace. She wanted to heal, not constantly getting her wounds torn open time and time again. Even if it meant hurting the people she loved the most.

"Chris..." Addie whispered, looking over at him, taking him in for how he is before she speaks. "I know we don't have a label right now-"

"Don't." Chris harshly interrupts, "Don't you dare end things with me over this. You can go through my phone, I don't care! I'm not losing you because of Gwen, Adeline." He urgently speaks, scooting forward so he was knee to knee with Addie.

Addie felt a tear roll down her cheek, "We should stop before it gets harder, Chris. I need to heal from everything, I can't keep living like this." Addie choked through her sobs, watching Chris' eyes fill with his own tears.

"I can help you, just tell me how, please Addie." Chris quietly begged, making Addie's heart nearly split in two.

Addie shook her head, reaching forward to grab Chris' hand, "Chris I hear someone in my house when I'm fully alone. My heart races so fast I can't sleep. Paranoia makes me get up and check all of the locks on the doors and windows several times, I keep a knife under my pillow." She sarcastically laughed, doing her best to ignore her tears as she spoke.

"I-I can stay with you or something, please." Chris spoke, his voice cracking with emotion. He was shocked she was still so deeply affected by Chase, and he feels horrible he never noticed it.

The random flinching, making sure she wasn't the first person to turn the corner. Being overly aware of her surroundings, seemingly to look for things that aren't there.

Addie sadly smiled at the boy, "It's all in my head, Chris. You can't fix that." She quietly replied, removing her hand from Chris' grip. Chris finally let his tears fall, watching Addie stand up. Addie nodded to the door, gesturing to him to leave, but he refused.

Addie might be giving up on them, but Chris never will.

"Chris, please." Addie sighed, staring at the floor. Chris stood, walking over to the girl. Gently lifting her chin, searching her eyes before slowly leaning in.

This was a goodbye kiss, for Addie. For Chris, it was everything he couldn't say.

I love you. I will protect you, and I will do my damn best to fight your demons with you. I can't give up on this love, it's too young to fizzle out without giving it a chance to grow. I'm meant to be with you. I think we could be soulmates. I want a life with you, and a long one at that. I want to watch you grow into the woman you're meant to be, because I'll be there every step of the way. If you let me. Please let me.

Addie pulled away, wrapping her arms around Chris' torso. Chris immediately returned the hug, holding Addie to him tightly. When Addie tried to back away from the hug, Chris just knew. He knew that this was it, this was the last time Addie would willingly see him. So he lost it.

His sniffles turned into sobbing, feeling Addie's body begin to shake as she joined in on the crying. Chris was trying to control himself, but his heart was aching in a way he hadn't felt in a long time. He was feeling exactly like he did the last time Addie made her exit out of his life.

"Please don't shut my brothers out. Or Lana." He whispered into Addie's shoulder, feeling her tense up even more.

"Chris, please. Just go." Addie pleaded desperately, agony laced in her tone. Chris pulled away from her a few seconds later, taking in her puffy eyes and splotchy cheeks, stained by the tears that fell from her eyes. Addie gently shoved him towards her front door, opening it once she got Chris in front of it. He turned to face her one last time, bringing his hand to her cheek, and softly wiping away her tears.

"I fucking love you, Adeline Rose Manson."

He was met with silence, his heart feeling hollow as Addie refused to reply. Chris scoffed, shaking his head and stepping outside. He tilted his head at the girl, trying to understand what could possibly be going through her head.

"I'll wait for you, Adeline. Just try not to make me wait too long, yeah?"

authors note .
chuckles