1.6 looking back at me

It had been over a week since Addie had left Boston. Her parents still thought she should go, since the police ended up not finding Chase after he had broken into their home. Addie was nervous, she couldn't lie. Being one state away from her past wasn't a comforting thought, being completely alone.

What her parents didn't know about Ryat and Blakely, was that they were almost never home. They both worked for some secret society in a college a town over, and it was a pretty demanding workplace. Addie had only seen them twice since she has been here, maybe an awkward run in at 2 am in the kitchen. They did have fancy security though, so she didn't mind it all that much.

Addie had just finished up her schooling for the day when her phone began to ring. Chris was facetiming her, he must be home from school. It was a routine they agreed on, right before she left. He would call when he would get home from school, since the time zones are three hours apart, she didn't want to risk waking him up or keeping him up.

She hit the green accept button, "Hi Chris." She grinned at the boy who was now on her screen. His hair was pushed back by his favorite red and black hat and she couldn't help but wish she was there, so she could steal it off his head and make him chase her around to get it back.

"Hey mamas." He smirked back at her, making Addie roll her eyes. He knew she thought pet names were corny, but he's insisting on the fact he can pull off mamas and make her like it.

"Alright, I'm hanging up." She joked, making Chris scoff in disbelief.

"Yeah, alright." He rolled his eyes, shuffling in his bed to get more comfortable. "What did you do today?" He asked, taking his hat off and reaching across the phone to set it down.

Addie shrugged, setting her phone against her laptop screen. "I just got done doing my school for the day, thinking about making lunch." Addie responded, making Chris nod.

"Are they at the house today?" He asked.

Addie shook her head no, "I miss being around people, believe it or not." She sighed, itching to be wrapped up in Chris' arms. To be surrounded by her friends and family.

"Hopefully you can come home soon, mamas." He softly smiled at his girl, "I'm about to go find the fucker myself." He huffed, knowing that if he was capable he would.

"Chris, don't be crazy." Addie glared at her boy through the phone, making him laugh.

"But I am crazy," He replied, a grin spreading across his lips. "Crazy for you." He sang, making Addie's mouth drop open in shock.

"Corny ass mother fucker!" She got out in between laughs. Chris didn't even care about being corny, he would say the stupidest thing he could think of if he knew it would make Addie laugh.

"Real talk though, your parents came over for dinner last night and gave us an update." Chris replied, once Addie's giggles stopped.

"What did they say?" She asked, wondering why they didn't reach out to her with any news.

Chris frowned, "Nothing basically, just that he hasn't been seen around town by fucking anyone." He huffed, rolling his eyes. "I miss you so much, I just want to catch the fucker so you can come home."

"Same, they should've just used me as bait to draw him out of whatever fucking crevice dude is hiding in." Addie replied, making Chris nod in agreement.

Addie's attention was taken away from Chris, when she could hear someone typing in the code to the front door. It began to beep loudly, signaling the code was incorrect.

"What the fuck was that? Are you cooking and the smoke detector went off?" Chris questioned, wincing from the loud beeping. Addie shook her head, getting up and walking towards the front door. She peeked through the curtains, seeing a man she didn't know staring at the door in disbelief.

"What the fuck." Addie whispered, instantly turning around and looking back at Chris. "I gotta go, Chris. I need to call my uncle." She hurriedly spoke, climbing the stairs two at a time to get distance from the front door.

"What's going on?" Chris demanded, worry etched onto his features.

"I'll call you back later." With that, Addie cut off Chris by hanging up, and pulling up her uncle's contact and pressing call.

She waited a minute or two, only to be sent to voicemail. She tried Blakely next, but she was immediately sent to voicemail. Fuck.

Addie was torn on what to do, what if it was just a friend and it was normal for him to show up when they aren't home? She would feel horrible. There's no way Chase knows she's here, Ryat and her father didn't share the same last name, and his address wasn't written down anywhere in the house where he could've found it.

Addie was trying to call Ryat again when she smelt something burning, like a campfire almost. With the phone to her ear, she walked towards the stairs so she could go check downstairs for something that could be burning. When she finally made it down the stairs, she found smoke filling the entryway to the home. The random guy had set the fucking front door on fire.

Addie was brought back to reality when the automated person offered her to leave a voicemail, "Ryat, someone just set your fucking house on fire! What the fuck do I do? I'm calling 911 when I hang up, holy fuck!" She whispered loudly into the phone, turning to go towards the back door to leave the home before she wouldn't be able to breathe.

Once she opened the door to the laundry room, she was met with even more smoke. Staring hopelessly at her only other exit, thinking about climbing out of a window or possibly having to break it made her want to scream.

She quickly called 911, reported the fire and told them there could be a man outside. The 911 operator told her to find a shirt and wet it and hold it to her nose and mouth, and to wait for help to arrive before leaving the house. Addie was starting to panic, watching the smoke grow closer and closer towards her spot in the kitchen.

"Addie?" She heard a voice yell, causing her to hold her breath in fear. "It's Ryat, it's okay!" The voice screamed again, but she still felt unsure, not fully recognizing the voice. She was still on the phone with 911, so she quickly checked her missed texts and calls.

Ryat: I'm on my way, I'll be there in 25

That was only sent 7 minutes ago

Fuck.

authors note .ᐟ
tysm for 2k reads!! <3
also ik i said it would get better for chris and addie but likeeee i may have lied :)