The Cabinet

Juliana landed on one of the landing fields to the West. There was barely anybody. Although the Academy typically opened for a school year on October 22nd, a great many students would prefer to officially attend school after Christmas. The first one month was mostly introductory lessons, anyway, so it wasn't really necessary. The Instructor found this period ideal to help the sorcerers settle in their dormitories undisturbed by glares, shrieks, and pointing fingers. Such displays of fear and hatred were mostly useless, yet the witch considered that way too obvious to even meet the basic standards of mannerism. So impolite, so rude, and so arrogant. Humans were always afraid of the unknown, and frankly, so was she, but Juliana knew better than to let it get in the way of growth.

If the future was to come as bright and enchanting as the dawning sun, then changes must be welcomed. The sorcerers had long been depicted in folktales as mysterious being roaming the world, so they could be of some importance. At the very least, they could barely live a life happy and free, always so distrustful and willing to fight tooth and nail against even the slightest sign of threat. They were powerful ones, indeed, but Juliana sought to resolve the unfairness that had been looming over their world for ages.

Admittedly, the so-called dormitory she managed to save for Frodo and his friends last year wasn't big - if not nothing like a dorm at all - and this year they would have to share with three new students. Librarian Harley was kind enough to clean out a whole cabinet of considerable size and renovate it into a liveable space. She even carved a window overlooking the prairie and brought in a small, worn cupboard, a low table, a selection of old textbooks, and a few hammocks as beds. All Juliana needed to do to bring them in.

"Thank you so much for your contribution to this program, Harley! I-..."

"Hold your horses, Juliana," the Librarian lifted a hand to prevent the Instructor from rambling, "I did this to the school's interest. You said both the students and parents refused to let the sorcerers sleep in the dorm buildings, no? It would be a stain on our reputation if somebody is to find out that we let students sleep outside, no matter what they are. I will be watching closely, Juliana, and I will personally see the matter had they caused any troubles in my library."

Despite the impassive words, the Instructor knew that she had won. She had piqued the Librarian's interest, and that was enough guarantee that Frodo and the others would at least have a safe place to return after tiring days.

The Library itself was a tower rising almost as high as a hill and containing tomes as old as time, more than half being beyond any Librarian's knowledge. It stood with unmatched might, as if staring down at the other buildings with half an eye. Dormitories, cafeteria, lecture halls, training fields, gymnasiums, greenhouses, gardens, stables. They were nothing in comparison. Becoming a Librarian was a daunting job, as it required the careful handling of some of the most dangerous relics of magic history, but it also came with great honor. Harley was the nine-hundred-ninety-ninth Librarian, and she would retain her role until the day of her death, just like past Librarians for millennia.

When Juliana, Frodo and Momo entered the high-rise stone building, Harley barely glanced up from her thick leather-bound book.

"This is..?"

"Miss Avian. Momo Avian."

"Oh, yes, the Flyer's sorceress," Harley hummed, "I expect you to behave. Don't stain your guardian's name," she said bluntly.

"I-I'll try..." Momo recoiled. The Librarian didn't seem to have any murderous intent, but it's best that she kept her distance for now.

"The two others," Harley continued, "When will they arrive? The room would barely fit if one of them happens to be a bear."