The Tom

Teris' pride was to be Goldiha's trusty cat. The witch's love was shared equally among the creatures living in the protection of her home, but few earned the trust to be given a 'mission' like him. That being said, Teris trotted around the living room on light, padded feet, and ducked under the couch. Expectedly, as he had just picked up her scent when she scurried away, he was led here.

The black cat seemed to flinch, her tail twitched in concealed tension, and her ear was clearly trying to pick up any abrupt sound coming from his way. She was licking a wound well hidden beneath her black fur, which he was sure Goldiha had managed to spot when trying to warm her up. But she was wary, even in front of someone of the same kind, while tending wounds - an act a cat would normally do under a sense of security.

"Hey," Teris spoke up, but the kitten ignored him. At least, she tried to, but for a split second she froze, indicating that she was listening.

"Look, maybe you're listening, maybe you're not," Teris said, trying to convince himself that he was absolutely not monologuing like an idiot, "But I'm telling you that you'll be safe here, from whatever had injured you that much. Well, except yourself, really, I don't think you'd actually do that," the tomcat rolled his eyes, "Goldiha loves cats more than anything. I mean, look around you! There are more than twenty of us here! She'll heal you, and you'll have a home. It's all good, right?"

The black cat continued to ignore him. Teris pouted. Some kitten... He knew that street cats were the rough type, having to deal with dogs and angry warlocks and everything, but this one in particular was very good at ignoring. Every home cat knew not to mess with wild cats as if they were two different kinds, and Teris was certainly ready to flee if the kitten decided that he was an enemy. Wild cats would normally snarl back at opinions contradicting their lifestyle of not trusting and could easily be riled up into a fight in which they would win. So the lack of response from her made him feel a little dispirited.

"Come on, I know you're playing deaf. Your ear just twitched. If you want to stay a loner that badly then I'm sure I can convince her to release you after you're healed. Those wounds look terrible," he cringed as the kitten lifted part of the fur on her front leg with her tongue, revealing a nasty burn that seemed new. And from the look of it, the wound was caused by magic - a spell from some warlock, no less. No wonder she was distrustful. Even before the heavy rain brought her down the line she already had to deal with the very people that ran this world. At this point, if she went ahead attacking his owner for trying to heal her, he wouldn't be surprised.

Well, not surprised, but definitely very unpleased.

"If you're still trying to be stubborn while I'm here offering the best chance of help," Teris turned his back to her, "Then so be it. You won't be able to get out anyway, not without getting soaked all over again, and the rain wouldn't stop until Goldiha stops the dragons who caused it and comes back. And since I'm nice enough to not chase you out, you're welcome to stay. Let this be your temporary spot. I'll make sure none of the others come around."

This time, the black kitten did look at him. Her big eyes looked anxious, but she didn't seem to want to run away as much anymore. Something told him that as long as he stuck to his promise, all would be good.

"Oh, and what's your name? Mine is Teris."

"...Momo..."

"Alright, Momo, do tell me if you're hungry. And please don't pee under the couch. Goldiha wouldn't like it."

~

Goldiha was gone for five days straight. The flight from Amber City to the wyvern's location alone took one whole. During that time, a twenty fifth plate would appear every meal, and before any other cats could claim it their extra, Teris would drag and place it in front of the couch. By the time he finished with his own meal and came back, the dish was polished, as if the food never existed. The tomcat chuckled to himself. As a wild cat, of course she would suffer from hunger. He felt happy that she didn't reject the food and even seemed to enjoy it.