A Foolish Idea

(Legolas POV)

My heart pounded to the beat of Arod's hooves. We were drawing closer to Gondor with every passing moment. It felt as if time was standing still, and it was taking a life time to get back. My father and Suiadan were behind me as I continued to gallop with Arod. His sides were heaving, and I knew that we would have to slow down after a while. I sighed to myself as I pulled back on the reins slightly. Arod slowed down and the others caught up with me.

"What is wrong?" my father asked, pulling up on my right side. Suiadan was on the other side of him and looked at me with worried eyes.

"I was running Arod too hard," I admitted with a sad smile. I ran my hand along his neck, trying to calm him down. Once we get to Gondor, he will not have to run for a while. "I was pushing him too hard.... I made a mistake, and my mount payed for it..."

"It is alright, my young lord," Suiadan said with a closed eye smile. "We have been riding for a while now, My King, we should rest the mounts for a while." Thranduil nodded slightly.

"There is a grove over there," Thranduil pointed. I could see a small shaded spot that had a small spring. That would do for a while. A part of me did not want to stop, but I knew that Aragorn would be waiting for me when I get there. "We will be there in time my son."

"I know..." I stated with a sigh, not wanting to stop. We made our way over to the grove of trees, and I dismounted. The shade was nice, after being in the sun for so long. A slight breeze blew through the trees, and made scents of different flowers reach my nose. I could not help a small smile to light my lips as I thought of the garden that Aragorn and I enjoyed going to. I closed my eyes, trying to take in all the scents and sounds around me. The small spring was bubbling slightly with a small waterfall, trees were bending in the wind, the patter of small animals came from the undergrowth, and the mounts quick breaths came to my ears. Everything smelled so fresh, like scents I had never smelled before.

"What are you thinking about my young lord?" I heard Suiadan ask from behind me. I opened my eyes to turn to him with a smile.

"I am remembering a garden that was back at Gondor," I said, pushing some of my hair out of my face. "It was a small garden, but the flowers were beautiful, and they were in bloom when I last left. It was truly a place of beauty. I cannot wait to go back and see it."

"I am happy for you my lord," Suiadan said with another one of his closed eyed smiles. I do not believe I had ever seen his real smile. The only time I have seen his real smile is when he is with my father. He adores my father, I just wish my father knew that. "We can travel for a little longer, but we will have to make camp in a few hours."

"Then we should continue," I heard my father say as he mounted his elk. I mounted Arod, and Suiadan mounted his horse. Soon, we were taking off again towards Gondor. My mind wandered to the garden that Aragorn and I shared. It would be great to return.

~~~~~

"We should rest my lord," Suiadan said behind me. I was annoyed slightly, wanting to continue. It would be too dangerous to continue into the night, but I believe we could continue.

"Come," I stated, turning to them. "Can we not stop? I mean, we are all powerful elves, will we not be safe enough to continue? We are so close..." I looked down at the ground, trying not to look in their eyes.

"Legolas, I know how much you wish to see Aragorn," my father started, "however, we must stay safe. I know the Dark Lord is vanquished, but there are still some of his followers around. If you wish to see Aragorn, then we must remain safe."

"Both of you can rest, but I will continue." Without waiting for them to stop me, I took off into the setting sun. I could hear their yells behind me, but I continued. It was foolish, but I wish to get there as quickly as possible. Nothing would keep me away. Their voices faded into the distance as I galloped away. Arod's side heaves as I push him to run.

The sun was quickly setting, and the stars were soon coming out. The night almost went silent, No sound was heard except for Arod's breathing and the sound of his hooves hitting the ground. A cold chill ran over me as I continued into the night. Arod suddenly bucked underneath me. He had never done that before, and it caused me to almost fall off of him.

"Arod!" I yelled as he continued to buck. I was hanging onto his side, trying very hard not to fall off. I caught a glimpse of his eyes, and he had a fear I had never seen in them. With one more swing, he flung me off of his back. As I hit the ground I rolled. I rolled a few feet before landing on my side. I rose to my side and watched as Arod raced into the night. Luckily my bow was across my back instead of on the saddle like it normally would be. The night went quiet around me. A cloud covered the moon, and everything went dark around me. I quickly took one of the swords on my back out as I scanned the area around me. Something was not right...

'I should have stayed with my father and Suiadan...' I silently scolded myself. It was so foolish of me to continue by myself. Aragorn would never forgive me if I foolishly tried to get to him in this way. Movement caught my eye to my right, and I quickly crouched down. 'Idiot!' I mentally yelled as I continued to scan the area around me. That's when I noticed them. There were a dozen orks around me, and I was too focused to notice their presence. A low growl escaped my lips as I took in those around me. The cloud that once covered the moon passed, and I could see my attackers clearer.

They were in a circle around me, and I had to refrain from cursing them out. They continued to get closer as I took out the other sword on my back. I would have to be quick to dispatch them. The closest one came at me, and I quickly stabbed him in the chest, and then one after another they came at me. It felt like they were getting the upper hand because of their numbers. Normally the numbers would not matter, but I ached from traveling the entire day. The last one was in front of me, and I quickly decapitated him. I was breathing hard as I looked around the bodies around me. A sharp pain erupted in my side as I looked down to see blood soaking through my green tunic. I fell to my knees, holding my side.My last thought was of Aragorn before darkness overtook me.

~~~~~

Author's Note

Please don't hate me... It has been so long since I posted, and I am sorry... My sister got married, I am in a college class, and my laptop decided to die on me... I'm using my moms computer right now because of how stupid my laptop was. I hope y'all don't hate me... Please continue to vote and comment and stuff... It really means a lot to me, and I cannot believe how many people have read my story. All the silent readers, please comment and stuff!!! It would make my day!! I hope to be writing more when I finish my college class in a few weeks. THANKS GUYS!!!

Love,

Abby