A Discovery that Changes Everything

(Aragorn POV)

“Finally, I found you,” I stated with a smile. One look at Legolas, and I could tell he was not pleased to see me. His once calm features, were now scrunched, as if he was in great pain. “What displeases you?” I watched as he sat down by the fair, his powerful, yet lean legs curled underneath him. Brego made his way over to Arod after I dismounted. Legolas refused to look at me, and all he looked at was the fire. I sat across from him, hoping he would look at me. “What troubles you?”

“The fact that you searched for me,” He stated, turning his bright, blue eyes towards me. It startled me that he thought this way. “You are a king now, Aragorn, you cannot waste your time on me anymore. You will soon have a wife, and I will soon be traveling to the Grey Havens with my people.”

As he spoke, he glanced back at the fire. His eyes held sadness, a sadness I could not fathom. There was a silence between us, and all that could be heard was the sound of the horses. Many times have there been silence, but this silence was different. Legolas had hard lines to his face, his face had always been soft and welcoming. I glanced down at my own hands, unsure of what to say.

“I only came, because I was worried for you,” I stated, looking up at him. Legolas looked up, a small on his lips, that did not reach his eyes. It was strange to see Legolas behave this way. “What have I done?” Legolas slow stood up, and paced along the side of the fire. “Please, give me a reason as to why you are acting this way…”

“I cannot say,” was all he told me. It was rather frustrating.

“Gandalf told me where I might have been able to find you, apparently he was correct,” I told him, looking back at my hands. “You must come back with me. Please, do it for Arwen, she is worried about you. She was not sure if I would be able to find you.” I heard Legolas stop pacing, and I looked up at him. He stared at me intently, and I stared right back at him.

“Why are you doing this?” He asked suddenly, coming at me and kneeling in front of me. His eyebrows were drawn together tightly, and our faces were inches apart. “Why track an elf that means nothing to the safety of Gondor. You were a fool to leave your new kingdom without it’s King.”

Before he could move, I quickly grabbed his face in my hands. “I do this, because you have always been my friend and ally. Never have you given up on me. Also you have never once betrayed me in any way,” I told him, staring into his now icy, blue eyes. “I have come to rely on you. I am a young king, and I need the aid of my friends.” I noticed his face fell slightly at the word friend, but the hardness was drawn from him. “Please, return with me.”

“Aragorn,” he started, looking down at the ground. His face was still in my hands, and he had relaxed slightly. “I will return, but that does not mean I will remain there.” My mood lightly considerable. The fact that he will return with me was enough to satisfy me. I let go of his face and stood up. Legolas was still kneeling and I helped him to his feet.

“We shall return then,” I told him, a smile on my face. He smiled back weakly. I thought nothing of it as I mounted Brego. Legolas did the same with Arod, and soon we were riding back towards Gondor. “Why did you leave in the first place?”

I glanced back at Legolas, and he was looking straight ahead. “I left,” he started, thinking over it a little more, “because I thought that I had to distance myself from you. You were starting a new life, and I had to start a new one also.” It was a strange thing to hear, from someone who must have lived many lives. A strange look crossed his face, and he quickly tried to hide it.

“What are you hiding from me, my friend?” I inquired, holding up so Arod could walk besides Brego. “You have been acting strangely since last night.” It was strange to think, his face looked quite paler than normal. “Are you feeling well?”

“No…” He simply stated. “I am dying.” Those words brought me to a stop. He said them so casually that it threw me for a loop. “Elves do die, my friend. It was bound to happen to me sooner than later. Twilight is upon me, and soon it must fall.” I could not believe the words coming from his mouth.

“I had come to believe that Elves cannot die from natural causes,” I said in a quiet voice. “There must be a way that you will not die.” I was desperate now. Legolas had been my friend since I was a child. “Maybe Gandalf will know a way…”

“Please, melon…” He told me, reaching his hand to hold mine. A jolt of electricity went through me. “The only way I know, is too absurd to even dwell upon. Put it from your mind.” He removed his hand, and I felt hollow in my heart. “Everything is changing, and it is a good change. Do not let your mind dwell upon this.”

“How can I not?” I asked angrily. “You must be insane to think I will not try and find a way to help you.” Legolas laughed slightly.

“Now you see why I left,” he told me. “I did not want you to worry, or try to do anything rash.” Legolas looked ahead, and we rode along in silence. A nagging sensation had begun in the back of my mind. A feeling that I should not have been having for a man who was my friend. I loved Legolas more than a friend.

“Legolas,” I started, looking down at my hands. I felt his eyes move towards me, but I could not return the look. “I can and I will help you, however I can.” With that, I looked up, and my grey eyes met his bright blue ones.

        “Nothing I will say will make you change your mind?” He asked, a small smile appearing on his lips. How he could be so calm astounded me. I shook my head in a defiant sign of disapproval. He laughed, and the sound filled me with warmth. His laughter could warm the darkest halls.

        There was no way that this man who die. I would have to discuss with Gandalf what we could do. I would have to also talk to Arwen, and talk to her about the way I felt for Legolas. It was strange, and I had no idea how she would take it. I turned to say something to Legolas, and I found him slumped over his saddle, unconscious. My heart raced, and I took off towards Gondor. Tears blurred in my eyes. I had no idea what would happen to my love.

~~~~~~

Author's Note

Sorry if this chapter is bad... I really have no inspiration right now... I'm in a production in my area, and that has occupied my thoughts recently. I wish to write more, but it may only be once in a while. I hope you guys have been enjoying my story so far. Please remember to vote and comment. It makes me happy when people message me and comment. I read EVERYTHING!

Love,

Abby.