CHAPTER 11

Riley watched the rain fall for a moment, debating whether it would be a good idea to have an improvised sleepover at Joe's place or not. Of course, she knew renting a hotel room last minute wasn't exactly cheap, especially in the middle of Manhattan. She also knew she could afford it without issue but didn't really feel like going trough the trouble of finding one, making a reservation and getting her car before driving there.

She turned towards Joe, who was patiently awaiting her answer and sighed. ''I guess it's the best option. But you'll have to lend me some clothes, Jonas. Everything is in my car.''

Less than 30 minutes later, after they were able to catch a cab, they made it to his loft, in the heart of SoHo, a neighbourhood Riley adored, after Greenwich Village, of course. By the time they arrived at his place, they were drenched, and Riley couldn't wait to change into dry and warm clothes. Joe introduced her to Mark, the nice security guard in the lobby and they used the elevator to get to his loft.

''Make yourself at home, I'll get you something to change into.''

Riley watched as Joe left for what she assumed was his room and looked around the open concept of his loft – the place suited him, and it screamed Joe Jonas. There were many unique items in the decor that, for some reason, just fit together. She was expecting to see a luxurious apartment out of a magazine, the kind of place that looks like no one is living there, but she was happily surprised.

''Here, I think these shorts will fit you enough.'' Joe said coming back from the bedroom, a pair of shorts and a white t-shirt with the word Coachella written on it. ''I'll show you the bathroom. You can take a shower too if you want.''

Riley tried to do as fast as she could in the bathroom, not wanting to take too much time – although the room was to die for, and the bathtub looked so inviting. She put her clothes in a neat pile near the radiator to help it dry and left the room, going back to the living room. From there, she could see the kitchen area where Joe – also in different clothes, was busy doing who knows what.

''Let me guess, your famous mimosa?'' she teased him, while looking around the room.

Joe laughed and walked back towards her, a mug in each hand, handing one to her. ''I can make you one if you want but I thought a hot chocolate would be better. I also ordered a pizza, should be here soon.''

Riley nodded and took a sip of the hot drink, noticing that it was made just how she loved it, with warm milk. She took a seat on the bigger couch, holding one of the many cushions against her chest. She watched as Joe turned on the TV and went to get a few blankets from the closet. At least, the heavy rain hadn't caused a power outage. She tried to keep her eyes on the screen, barely understanding what the show was about, thanks to his white t-shirt.

''Before you leave tomorrow, if you don't mind, it'd be nice to see your art gallery.'' Joe pointed out while going through the TV channels. '' I always loved those places.''

''Sure. My car is still there anyways. I gotta warn you though, my friend is a wild character. She's also a major fan of you guys.''

''well, this should be interesting then.'' He laughed ang got up to answer the door when the doorbell rang, signalling that the pizza had arrived.

Oh, you have no idea, she thought, watching him leave. Becca wouldn't act desperate or act like a crazy fan, after all they were in their 30s, they weren't teenagers anymore, but Riley had a feeling that her friend meeting Joe Jonas the day after would be memorable.

When he came back with the food, they resumed watching the movie, but for the most part, they were just talking about everything and nothing at the same time. Riley wondered how Becca would react if she knew that she was spending the night at Joe's place and all they did was getting to know each other.