CHAPTER 1

Denville, New Jersey was something entirely different during the fall season. It was like an in-between; people were saying goodbye to the warm weather, kids were going back to school, but it wasn't too cold yet. For Riley Martin, Denville was her home, it had been for most of her life. And every year, when the leaves would start to change color and she could officially call it sweather season, Riley was the happiest.

Today was a beautiful day in the city of Denville – sunny and just a little bit of wind, the type of September days that Riley loved. But today was not a perfect day in Riley's book, it was quite the opposite. She'd started her day by wearing her coffee cup instead of drinking it, her cat had suddenly decided to run away and pick up a fight with a squirrel (and lost), and now her car was refusing to start. The worse part was that the radio in her car only indicated 10:00 in the morning. It was going to be a long day, she thought while getting her phone out of her bag.

Thirty minutes later, she saw a white BMW park in front of her driveway and the window on the driver's side roll down. Riley knew exactly who was behind the wheel, and that she was in for a lecture regarding her car. Again. She bit her lip innocently whilst looking at her best friend, Danielle, who, on the other hand, didn't look too impressed.

''One day, I'll have Kevin take that car away, trust me.''

Riley rolled her eyes at her while getting in the passenger's seat. It was always the same thing, her car would give up on her, her friend would pick her up and threaten her on their way to Riley's work, and they would catch up later during the day. Being 32 years old, she and Danielle only had a few years apart. They'd met a long time ago at the Rockaway River Country Club in Denville, where Danielle's husband was playing golf. They'd both realize that it wasn't their scene at all and spent the afternoon making fun of the men. From that moment on, they were inseparable, and the rest was history.

''You know I love you Dani, but your threats are useless. We both know that Kevin is the definition of puppy. Last time you said that he ended up spending 2 hours in my driveway trying to fix my car.''

''Well then... I could get Nick to take care of it. You know he would.''

Danielle knew by the look on her friend's face that she was right. Riley knew it too. Kevin would end up taking her side and try to help, but if Nick was getting involved, now that was a different story. And one she did not want to see happen. Nick Jonas, although a nice person, from what she'd heard, was the worse competitor you could be facing and always got his way. Riley had met the youngest member of the band once and, although she would never admit it to her best friend, she'd found him to be a little bit... intimidating.

She was familiar with the whole band of course and had heard their songs in the past, but ever since she'd met Danielle and of course Kevin, it would be weird to talk about their songs all the time. And to be honest, Riley thought these two were the most lovable people she had met in a long time, it was impossible to treat them as celebrities. They had been supportive when she had decided to extend her business to New York City and had given her tips on the dos and don'ts. Riley had always been into painting and was quite good – she even owned a boutique downtown and was also teaching art at one of the schools in the city.

The idea to open an art gallery in New York City was something that had been on her mind for quite some time, but the guts to go forward with her dream were not there. It took some persuasion from her friends to try her luck. Two years later, she was managing the art gallery with a friend that lived in the city. So far, it was working well. It was a lot of work, but she was proud. Tired, but proud.

''Enough about my car, how are the two mini Jonas? I haven't seen them in a few weeks!'' The Jonas-Deleasa family had been away on vacation for a while, before school started, and due to her schedule, Riley had not been able to visit them.

''They are good. Happy to be back to school... I can't complain! But they do miss their aunt Ri-Ri. Valentina was asking when you would be decorating the pumpkins with them! I told them it's not even October yet!''

They laughed in unison at what the little girls could come up with. As she looked outside the window as her store came into view, Riley smiled to herself, thinking to herself that she really was lucky to have been blessed with such friends.

_____________________

Hello, hello! :)
I've been wanting to write a Jonas Brothers story for a while now and this idea came out of nowhere. Let me know what you think - I know it's a bit of a slow start, but I wanted to introduce my character a little bit. I hope you like it! Also, be aware that english is not my first language, so if there are any spelling mistakes, please let me know! Thank you!