五 | Cold Days

Natori's pov

Autumn came, the leaves resembled my feathers, it was my favorite season. The cold did not bother me but I do prefer warm places, still I loved to stare at the colorful scenery. I sat on the engawa in my bird form, the sun was behind me but the shadow of the house allowed me to sit outside.

"You like autumn don't you?" Ruka sat down next to me and I hummed in response, my gaze still fixated on the colorful trees.
Kyojuro was training with his father on the other side of the house, under the sun while Senjuro watched them.

"I heard from the others... that demon are looking for you." she started, "but perhaps you already know.

"I do. Are you worried?" I finally looked at her.

"Should I?" she asked.

I shook my head and gazed towards the blue sky, "I'm not afraid of them nor the kizukus. They won't get me."

"What about Kibutsuji?" Ruka eyed me.

"He doesn't even dare to come out, so why should I be afraid?" I answered, "he's a coward. But if the day comes where I get captured...I won't forget any of you."

Ruka: "Don't say that. I believe that day won't come."

'I hope....'

𓅘

My days with the demon slayers were full of surprises and without realising, I grew attached to them, even though they don't like me.
My missions with them might also be quiet but fighting alongside with them was interesting. Demons who saw me wanted to kill me, yet they couldn't. What could take my life was either the sun or the demon king himself.
Some demons even tried to devour me which might work, but I won't let it happen; once they catch me their hands will be set on fire which won't die easily until their limbs melt.

I thought I won't hear about Muzan anymore since he was a coward and chose to hide while demons do his work instead.

But I was wrong.

3rd person pov

Tears kept dripping from the big human sized phoenix as she inspected the corpses of a family. A toddler lied lifeless in front of her on the cold snowy ground while the rest of his family were inside. The tears fell on the toddler and one of his injury started to heal but he wasn't able to wake up anymore.

They were late.

She felt it, it was non other than the demon king himself who assaulted this poor family.

The scent of metal was strong but her sadness was bigger suppressing her thirst.

She turned around and flew towards the direction where her quiet colleague was.
She landed some metres away from him and her gaze fell on the unconscious boy and female demon.

"You're not planning to kill her?" Natori asked.

"She's different. She protected him." they exchanged looks and she shook her head, "we came late..."

"It's a good idea," she eventually commented, "she's his last family member after all."

They waited until the boy finally woke up and he immediately noticed the faint demonic scent of the phoenix who looked back at him. He didn't know why but the scent of the mythical bird was sad.