Season 2 : Battle for the throne

"Crown Princess, I will be taking my leave now" Ijekiel takes cayena hands into his placing a soft kiss on her knuckles.

"Very well..." Cayena nods her head with a soft smile on her lips. Ijekiel let's go of her hands with a smile getting onto the carriage glacing back at her.  She shines so brightly like the sun. He wonders what changes would greet him the next time he visits.

Cayena stood in the courtyard, watching as the ornate carriage pulled away, Ijekiel's pale face gazing out the window at her. Though they had parted as allies, and hopefully still friends.

As the carriage rolled past the castle gates and out of sight, Cayena sensed, rather than saw, a presence behind her in the shadows of the colonnade. In one swift motion, she drew her dagger and spun, coming face to face with a young woman clad all in black. Slanted eyes gazed calmly back at her from within the assassin's hood, a scarred hand resting lightly on the hilt of her sword.

"Mitsui" Cayena greeted, sheathing her blade once more. "Any news?" The assassin - for such she surely was - bowed deeply in response.

"It is time" was all Mitsui said, voice quiet but assured. Cayena nodded, knowing 6 years preparation is finally here. Dangerous winds were shifting in the Empire, and as Captain of the mysterious Black Shadow Knights, Mitsui was uniquely poised to help guide Cayena through the coming storm.

With another wordless bow, Mitsui melted back into the dancing shadows as swift and silent as she had appeared.

-- Cayena walked back into the castle halls, lost in thought about the tasks that lay ahead, She wandered around the hallway when she stopped by the athanasia chamber.

Cayena dismissed her attendants with a weary wave of her hand as she entered Athanasia's chambers. The familiar scene of her sister lying still as death.

Sinking down upon the soft mattress, Cayena took Athanasia's pale hand gently in her own. As always, she reached out with her mana, probing delicately at her sister's flickering life force. But Athanasia's mana remained tangled and unstable. No matter what Cayena tried, she could not seem to untangle or soothe the corrupted mana.

Why won't you answer one's call? Cayena thought desperately, brushing a loose strand of golden hair behind her ear. What dark power still holds you in its thrall? She had searched every tome, questioned every healer and mage, but none could explain why Athanasia did not rouse, even with the aid of the World Tree branch that sustained her.

Cayena sat lost in thought by Athanasia's bedside, as was so often the case these days.Cayena ran through contingency plan after plan, trying to prepare for any threat, but it was a game of shadows and secrets that tired her spirit.

A flicker of movement in the corner of her eye with a figure emerged from the deep shadows - Kaeya, Vice captain of Black Shadow Knights. Cayena rose expectantly as Kaeya bowed.

"The plan is in motion, your highness," Kaeya's hooded voice whispered. "All is prepared as you commanded. We await only your word."

Cayena nodded. She cast one last lingering look at Athanasia's still form, the ultimate goal.

"Let the fun begin " Cayena declared, turning to Kaeya with a determined glint in her eye. The shadow knight vanished without a sound, as was their way. Cayena walked out of the room heading back to her chamber to prepare for tomorrow's plan.

-- Cayena stood before her chamber doors, drawing a deep breath as she adjusted her unusual attire one final time. She had chosen her outfit with care and cunning.

Where a noble lady might don an ornate gown, Cayena instead wore supple leather breaches and tunic in shining crimson, tailored perfectly to her form. Over this she wore a robe of deepest wine red silk, falling to the floor in graceful folds. Intricate patterns resembling vines and flowers were embroidered upon it in gleaming gold thread. ( Meaning she wore a mans cloth like Claude imperial clothes when hd was young )

Satisfied, Cayena pulled open the doors and walked toward her destiny.

The great doors of the meeting hall swung open as Cayena entered, back straight and head held high.She swept her gaze across the gathered lords and ladies arrayed around the tables, representatives of the empire's noble houses. 

At the one end sat her father, Emperor Claude with Anastacius sitting in another end. Seeing her enter, Claude raised a hand to call the room to order. Silence fell as all turned to regard the reason for a meeting.

As Cayena made her way to Claude's side, a smile on her lips . She sits down while leaning back against her chair, meeting her uncle Anastacius' gaze with an air of false warmth.

"I would like to welcome my imperial uncle, back from beyond the grave as if by some miracle. I'm sure you have fascinating tales to share of your ordeals." The nobles shifted anxiously.

Anastacius smiled tightly. "Niece, it does make my heart happy to see your flourishing "

"Indeed." Cayena's smiles.

Roger lifted his hands, a portentous question on his lips. "If I may, Princess Cayena...rumors have reached my ears claiming,His majesty himself may have dealings with the forbidden arts."

Gasps arose from the nobles, hungry for any sign of weakness in the royal family. Cayena's smile grew sly as all eyes turned to her, awaiting her reply. 

"Surely Duke Alpheus, you won't believe such foul lies. My father, consorting with dark magic?" She shook her head in mock dismay. "Why, the very idea is idiotic. As if the Emperor would risk himself and the stability of the empire for such practices."

"But the rumors, your highness-" Roger pressed eagerly.

Cayena silenced him with an icy stare. "Pay no mind to foolish gossip" Her tone brooked no argument.

"Nevertheless," Claude spoke in a tone like rough steel. "If any have proof of these claims, I invite them to present it. Empty words will not shake my rule." Everyone remained silent, anastacius was amazed by the show his cayena had planned.

Cayena turned piercing eyes upon Anastacius as she spoke. "Rather than accusing my father so readily, perhaps Duke alpheus,should look closer to home."

She tilted her head, crossing her arms in a deliberately dramatic manner. "Now that is quite the tale, Uncle. One simply must wonder what dark miracle worked to restore you to the land of the living."

Murmurs arose but quickly died at Claude quelling glare. Cayena smiled slyly at Roger. "Just because one supports an upstart's claims does not give them leave to so casually point fingers at the Emperor. We are no lawless province here."

Claude watched with calm approval as Cayena deftly turned suspicion onto Anastacius.

[ Happy Chinese new year 🧧 ]