Chapter 1: Hushed Memories

'And every step that I aim to take (I fall behind, I fall behind); And every neck that I had to break (these scars are mine, these scars are mine); And every day that I pray for you (I close my eyes, I close my eyes); At least I can say that we made it through (the stars align, the stars align)

- Billy Talent

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Chapter 1: Hushed Memories

*| Skylar's POV |*

Drip.....drip......drip.....

The soft lullaby of the rain hitting a puddle was what woke me from my sleep. I cracked my eyes open slowly, letting them adjust to the light that penetrated the layer of leaves above me. I stayed there, laying on my back under the canopy of green trees. The forest was a beautiful place. Especially, now. The sun was setting in the horizon, the sky, a mixture of colors, oranges and pinks. It was exquisite. It looked like a painting. Serene and tranquil. Only the finest artist could capture its beauty.

The soft grass underneath me tickled the back of my neck. My raven black hair displayed, and fanned out around my head. I had been enjoying a dreamless slumber when the first drops of rain appeared.

It was light at first, only a drizzle before it came down harder. Pounding the forest floor, drowning the leafs that occupied the undergrowth that lay beneath me.

I was in too much bliss to care at the moment though. The sound of thunder caused me to jump slightly in surprise. I wasn't frightened easily but it was unexpected. A flash of lightning streaked across the sky, blinding me for a moment. It was wonderful though.

The sensation of it all. The smell of moist dirt and soaking leafs. The feel of the rain on my skin, the soft wetness in between my shoeless toes. The taste of fresh rain, just fallen out of the clouds that hung above me. The bright flashes of lightning, much like the strobe lights that could be found at clubs and bars. The swaying of the trees and plants as gusts of powerful winds blew through its limbs. The scattering wild life, all looking for a place of shelter from the down poor. The sound of glorious thunder, its force so great it sent shivers down my spine. The feeling of freedom when running through the rain. I missed that feeling.

So I did just that. I ran through the tress, around the bushes and flowers. Over the dead leaves and trampled mud. The rain falling around me, making its presence known.

I was soaked head to toe but I could't bring my self to care. The wind whistled in my ears. My hair flew around my face, whipping the sensitive skin of my cheeks and leaving a slight sting.

I felt free. It's the only place I ever did.

I followed the same path I always did when I came here. I always visited the same place. It was mine; it belonged to me. I belonged to it. We were one.

The sounds of traffic and honking horns were drown out when I came here. The yelling of city dwellers, the stench of sewer, all became a distant memory as soon I stepped foot on the long, wild, untamed grass.

The city was behind me. My parents were behind me. School was behind me. Tristan was behind me. My life was behind me. Just the way I liked it. When things became to difficult, to lonely, to hard to handle; this was my escape. My paradise. My home....

My home.

I had just arrived home, I rummaged through my jean pockets in search for my keys as I reached the front steps. I quickly jogged up the stairs and onto my porch, now covered by the overhang. Protected from the rain. Shielded from the fierce winds.