Prologue: Silent Truth

'We all carry these things inside that no one else can see; they pull us down like anchors, they drown us out at sea'

- Bring Me The Horizon

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Prologue: Silent Truth

*| Skylar's POV |*

I felt alone. It was nothing noticeably new though. I always felt alone. Always have, always will. I was meant to be alone. Born to be alone. All my life, my family never cared, only my older brother, Nicolai. He was always there for me, when I woke up with silent tears running down my face. When the memories of my dark past caught up with me. When my parents had gatherings with the neighbors, when I was displayed like an ornament, a trophy. When I was forced to sit silently, obediently and listen, only ever listen. It was what was wanted from me, expected from me. My ears, my attention, my ever lasting ability to stay quiet. After all, it wasn't like I could speak my mind, not like I could defend myself or defy against the people who shared my blood, the people whom I despised.

Yes, they were family, and yes, they did create me, but I was a mistake. I was the disgraced child, the unwanted, unworthy child. I was the damaged, scarred child.

My brother, the one who was always there when I needed him, who would sing me to sleep and put the rare smile on my face, died. He was killed in a robbery 9 years ago, I was seven he was only 16. He died trying to save the cashier of the little convenient store. She was frightened by the gun pointed at her face, she must have been for I see no other reason to her having dropped the bag of money.

The robbers must have been quit impatient, they didn't like that and found it necessary to try and shoot the poor girl. My brother. Being the forever kind and heroic person he was raised to be, jumped in front of the girl, saving her life but receiving a deadly bullet to the heart. He was dead before the paramedics arrived. I just hoped it was quick and painless. A human being like that didn't deserve to die slowly, painfully. I understand some of you are thinking that no one should die like that but you would be surprised. Many deserve it but as they say, always the good die young.

I never had any friends, the children of the neighborhood knew to stay away, knew I was a freak.

Their parents told them, my parents told them. I was the outcast, the loner, always to be ostracized.

Until one day, one faithful day, a new boy came. He was new to town and he didn't know. His parents didn't know, his older brother didn't know. They didn't know and that was all that mattered. They didn't know to stay away, didn't know to distant themselves.

They thought I was sweet, they thought I was kind, at least that's what Mrs.Denver always said.

She was the mother of the naive new boys in town.

Her youngest son, Tristan, was my age. He was cute and funny. With white blond hair and dark hazel eyes, he was my polar opposite. I had raven black hair, as dark as the night sky, shinning with the light of a thousand stars. My pale green eyes always seemed to frighten the people who populated my quaint, judgmental little town. They always said that the paleness reminded them of a corpse or a blind man. Of course I could see fine and I certainly wasn't dead. I might have felt it but I didn't quit fit the part of a lifeless body. At least I hope not.

The older of the two boys was Steel. I always found his name to be strange, but it was unique and unique was good. Unique was different. Unique was me.

I am and will forever be unique.

Steel was only a year older than his brother, in turn, making him a year older than me too. His hair was a honey blond, scattered amongst the blond hairs were streaks of soft brown. Reminding me of creamy, milk chocolate. His eyes, oh his eyes were his best feature no doubt. Blue, electric blue, brighter than any I've seen in my entire life. Specks of silver and gold sprinkled his irises, it made them original. Original was good. Original was different. Original was me.