ch8 face-to-face

When the day of the meeting finally arrived. Lilly put on the beautiful, blue/white polka-dotted, cotton, knee-length, front button, A-line dress she had bought just for this occasion, along with silky tan hose, and topped it all off by slipping her feet into a pair of hot pink pumps with four inch heels that matched the color of the brand new manicure on her fingers, the shiny, thick plastic bangle on her right wrist, and the four matching hot pink plastic hoops dangling from her double pierced ears.

In an attempt to boost her confidence, Lily had also bought a special set of lingerie to wear under this outfit, a pair of panties and bra that matched the color of her shoes and accessories. No one would ever know she had them on, but just as Sara had told would happen when she suggested the special lingerie, they made her feel extra special and helped to calm her nerves enough to be able to go through with meeting the man who was responsible for her existing in this world.

Lily's heart raced as she waited for her father in a small downtown diner. Her mother sitting next to her, looking anxious and nervous.

Sitting in the diner, actually at the same booth where she'd had her first date with Thomas, she felt a jolt travel down her spine every time the little bell on the front door made a sound. Her eyes would immediately dart to the door, observing someone either entering or exiting, but each time she would feel both relief and disappointment when she realized it wasn't him.

Finally, the bell chimed and she looked up to find a man standing just inside the door, scanning the restaurant, looking for someone in a way that indicated he hadn't ever been in this restaurant before. Lily knew this had to be him and her heart skipped a beat. She observed him closely and quickly realized he looked older, more worn down than the photos, but still familiar enough that she recognized it was definitely him.

Spotting her mom, the man came directly over to their booth. He took a seat opposite them, and for a moment, no one said anything.

"Where's my son, Debbie? You agreed I could meet him." He finally said, breaking the awkward silence hanging in the air between them.

Lily's father's voice was rough and accusing, but there was a note of hopefulness in it that Lily hadn't expected. Her mother, Debbie, shifted uncomfortably in her seat and cleared her throat. "He's right here, Tom."

Tom? Lily had never heard her mom say her dad's name. Until this moment, she never knew his name and now she couldn't believe his name was the same as the boy she was falling for. The boy she had tenderly kissed in the moonlight, outside the bowling ally, last night at the conclusion of another exciting date, as she stood hand-in-hand with him, waiting for her mom to pick them up.

Lily shook the memory from her head, feeling a mix of emotions as she looked at her father. On one hand, she was angry at him for being the man he was, for beating her mother, leaving her for dead, and for abandoning her and her mother. On the other hand, she couldn't help but feel a tiny thread of curiosity and even sympathy. She saw worry, confusion, hurt, and sadness on his face as he studied her.

He swallowed a lump in his throat.

She took a deep breath and mustered up the courage to speak first.

"Hi, Dad. It's good to finally meet you." Her voice was steady, despite the butterflies in her stomach.

Her father continued to silently study her face for a moment, then his expression turned angry.

"What the hell is this, Debbie," he growled, anger in his eyes as he turned toward her. "Is this some kind of joke. Where's my son? Is he hiding around here somewhere waiting to suprise me?"

Lily's father, Tom, glared at them both, his expression a mix of anger and confusion. Lily's mother, Debbie, shifted uncomfortably in her seat, her hands defensively clenched into fists.

"This is your daughter, Tom," she said, her voice firm but steady. "She's the one you left behind when you went to prison. The one you said would inevitably turn out just like you. Remember? But you were wrong. Look at her. Your daughter, Lily Veronica Martin, is as far from like you as one could ever be, Tom. And if you don't like it you can leave now."

Tom immediately realized that the child in front of him didn't share his last name, but her, or his mother's instead.

"So, what you're saying is, you're sissyfying my son, dressing him up and pretending he's a girl to hurt me?"

"No, Tom, stop. And get it through your head. You don't have a son, you have a daughter and I'm protecting her from what you are, who you are, and your family. You're a monster, Tom."

"Deb, that's not true. I've changed. Prison changed me, for the better. Wait, so you're saying you were wrong before, and, and you weren't carrying a boy? I saw the ultrasound, Deb. Something's not adding up. I had a son. I know I did and now you're trying to turn him into a girl."

Before her mother could respond, Lily stepped in to save her. "Dad? This is who I am. I like who I am. I don't want to be a boy. She's not trying to turn me into a girl, I've been a girl since I was born. I wouldn't know how to be a boy if I had to."

Tom's head dropped. His voice trailed off, and disappointment could be felt as he said, "Oh," his voice dropping to a whisper.