ch3 - embrace

Over the next few months, Lily began to understand that what her mom had done, truly was for the best and as she learned more about her dad's toxic anger and his family the more she embraced femininity. One day she approached her mom with a box of clothes.

"What's that, " her mom asked.

"It's all my shorts, jeans, and other pants. I want to get rid of them. I want to be as far from anything resembling dad as possible. I don't even want be a tomboy. I want to be as girly girl as possible. This means we need to go shopping since I only own one dress that fits me. Also, mom, I like to start wearing makeup and shoes that are more girly than these athletic shoes. And-"

She hesitated, afraid of what her mom might say once she had finished talking.

"And what?"

"And I want, um, I want to start going to school with other kids. I've been thinking a lot, and I think I'd like to attend public school next year." Her voice wavered slightly, but she forced herself to meet her mother's gaze.

Her mom's eyebrows shot up in surprise, and she leaned back in her chair, studying Lily carefully. "I see," she said slowly. "That's certainly a big decision. Why do you feel this way, sweetheart?"

Lily took a deep breath, trying to organize her thoughts. "Well, for one thing, I think I'd like to make more friends. I've only ever really known you and a few kids from that little church we used to go to. I've never had real friends my age. I feel like I'm missing out on so much, you know?" She shrugged, her voice quivering a little. "And I think it would be fun to be around different people, I could learn so much from other girls my age and just...experience, well, everything public school has to offer."

Her mom listened intently, nodding along as Lily spoke. She could see the yearning for connection and independence in her daughter's eyes, and it tugged at her heartstrings. "I understand how you feel," she noted softly. "It's natural to want to explore the world and make your own choices. But I also need to consider your safety, Lily. Your father is being released from prison and I know he'll try to find us. And what if someone at school finds out your secret? I can't just send you off to school without thinking about the risks and how to mitigate them."

Lily bit her lip, her expression conflicted. She knew her mom was only trying to protect her, but she also wanted to live a normal life. "I know you're just looking out for me, Mom," she said gently. "But I really think I can handle it. You know I've been studying those self-defense videos you gave me, and I promise to be careful. If you want we could get me enrolled in a class. Plus, you've taught me so much about being strong and resilient. I know I can turn to you if anything happens."

Her mom studied Lily's face for a moment before reaching out to brush a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Alright," she sighed, finally. "Let me think about it."

"Thank you, mom. I know you'll make the right decision."

As the week went on and turned in to two, her mom found it increasingly difficult to deny Lily's request. She knew that her daughter was growing up quickly, and that she needed to be given more freedom and independence.