ch13 - families

Over the next few months, their relationship continued to evolve. Tom became a regular fixture in their lives, attending family dinners and even helping out around the house. He was patient and understanding with Lily, always making sure to ask her how her day went and truly listening to her answers. He hadn't agreed to meet her boyfriend yet, but he did inquire about the relationship 

He also made a point of spending time with Debbie, taking her out for lunch, or going for walks together.

As time passed, thanks to the continued support and sage input from Sara, Lily began to see that this different side of her father was genuine. He was still flawed, but he was trying. He was genuinely sorry for the pain he had caused and was actively working on being a better person. She realized that maybe, just maybe, he could be a part of their lives after all.

One day, as they sat together on the couch, watching a movie, Lily leaned over and hugged her father. He wrapped his arms around her, pulled her close, and sighed contentedly. "I'm glad we're all here together," he whispered in her ear. "I'm sorry for everything I put you through, sweetie."

Lily smiled, feeling a sense of peace wash over her. She knew they would never be the perfect family, but they were trying, and that was enough for now.

A few months later, Tom announced that he had found Jesus and joined a church. Lily and Debbie were skeptical at first, but there was a definite change in his personality,  temperament, and heart. Before long Lily and Debbie started joining him for Sunday morning services.

As the year went by, Lily and her mother continued to build a close relationship with Tom. They saw the good in him and celebrated his successes.

Eventually, Lily left for college, but being only two hours away, she made sure to visit her parents often. Tom had become a steady presence in her life, someone she could rely on and trust and she found herself wanting to be around him as often as she could. He had proven himself to be a good father, even if he wasn't always perfect.

As Lily grew into a mature young woman, she realized that her relationship with her father was unique and special. They had been through so much together, and they had come out stronger on the other side.

Two weeks before Lily left for college, Debbie walked down the aisle and remarried Tom in a small, no-frills ceremony at the church they attended.

Meanwhile, Tom continued to work at the church and work on his sobriety. He became a mentor to other men struggling with addiction, sharing his story and offering hope. He also remained close to Lily and Debbie, always there for them when they needed him. He never forgot the mistakes he had made in the past, but he focused on moving forward and being the best person he could be.

At the end of her first school year, Lily brought home a new friend, her college roommate Amanda. Amanda and Tom hit it off immediately, sharing stories and laughter over dinner. As they got to know each other better, Amanda confided in Lily that her own father had been in and out of her life, more out than in, due to addiction issues. He was currently serving a prison sentence for his third drunk driving arrest.

Amanda was impressed by Tom's dedication to his sobriety and his commitment to being a father figure to Lily and Debbie.

The following summer, at the end of her second year of college, Lilly decided to take a year off so she could move forward with her continued growth as a woman by consulting with a doctor concerning gender reassignment surgery. She discovered the surgery was major but her biggest concern was how she would ever be able to pay for the procedures. She fretted and worried, deciding she'd have to live with her parents, get a job, and put away every penny. Even with that, she didn't know how long it would take. There was another option that came to mind. She didn't want to do it, but she knew it would afford her the opportunity to have the surgery much sooner.

On the other side of town, out on a county road, all by itself, was a strip club, where Sara now worked. Lily knew State law didn’t allow full nudity, so she decided this might be the answer to obtaining the money she needed while keeping her secret. In addition to a day job, she could work there without her parent's knowledge, on weekends and the tips would be spectacular, Sara had assured her of that.

One day Lily sat her parents down and discussed with them, the specifics of the surgery and the costs. After she had shared with them her plan to take time off from school, live with them, and save up money by working, her dad spoke.

He revealed to her and her mom that he had started a savings account without either of their knowledge and had been putting money in it in order to surprise her with the gift should she ever decide to seek surgery. It wasn't enough to cover all the costs yet, but was enough that Lily would be able to have the surgery much sooner than she had expected. 

Lily broke down in tears when he revealed the account and vowed to work hard in order to save up the remaining amount needed. The money was enough that she would be able to go through with the surgery without having to put herself through the shame, embarrassment, and trauma of working the night job as she had planned. Lily was so grateful to him for this, she told her parents about her previous plan to work at the seedy club and through her tears thanked them both profusely for saving her from that experience.

In eight more months' time, Lily had the money, went through with the surgery, and spent time in recovery, in seclusion at her parents' home, not wanting anyone she knew to know her secret. The surgery was successful, the recovery without any major issues, and Lily came out on the other side with more confidence and inner beauty than she'd ever known before. 

By the following spring, Lilly was dating a handsome young man she met at her parents' church. He was Marvin, a kind, thoughtful, honest, loving, and respectful youth pastor.

Marvin made it obvious rather quickly what his intentions were with Lily. One day, just five months into his relationship with Lily, he had a long discussion with Lily's best friend Sara, gaining her enthusiastic support for what he was about to do. Marvin the sat Tom and Debbie down and asked for their blessing to marry Lily, which they both enthusiastically gave, but not until after grilling him for well over an hour about his feelings for Lilly and his plans for their future together.

The following January Tom proudly walked his amazing daughter down the aisle and gave her to Marvin, to have and to hold from this day forward, in sickness and in health, for better or worse, forsaking all others till death and beyond.

Over the years, Tom's relationship with Lily grew stronger. They spent holidays together, went on vacations, and shared in the joys and challenges of parenthood, with Lily and Marvin bringing their own adopted children around. Tom and Debbie were always there, as proud grandparents, to offer advice and support.

A few years later, Tom's health began to decline. He was diagnosed with liver disease, a result of his many years of alcohol abuse. His time on earth was limited, but he faced it with grace and dignity. He continued to attend church and spend time with his family, cherishing every moment he had left. In the end, Tom died peacefully in his sleep, surrounded by the love of his wife, daughter, her husband, and their children.

Lily and Debbie were heartbroken, of course, but they took comfort in knowing that Tom had found peace and purpose in his life. They were grateful for the second chance they had been given to get to know the real Tom, the man behind the addiction. They realized that the father they had known before had been a shadow of the man he could have been, and they were determined to honor his memory by living their lives to the fullest.

Lily and Marvin continued to serve their church together, honoring Tom's memory by carrying on the work he had started. They raised their children with the same values and faith that Tom had instilled in them, ensuring that his spirit lived on through the generations to come.