ch2 - Lily

Months passed, and with his father sentenced to prison for attempted murder, when her son was finally born, Debbie named him Lily and began to raise him in seclusion, far from the prying eyes of Tom's abusive family, and the damaging influences of their society. She kept his upbring free of television,  internet, public school, her own family, and any other influence that might poison his mind or reveil the truth of his gender to him.

She home schooled him herself. She taught him how to read and write, math, how to cook, bake, and sew,  how to tend a garden and grow flowers, how to clean any stain from laundry, how to take care of his skin, hair, and nails, and how to defend himself should anyone ever try to harm him. She fostered in him, a love for painting, crafting, gardning, cooking, fashion, and taught him how to coordinate colors and fabrics in order to create beautiful, classy outfits for any occasion. Through his mother's teaching and upbringing, Lily grew into a strong, independent, loving, and empathetic young woman, unaware of the turmoil that lay at the heart of her very existence.

As Lily approached adolescence, her mother began to worry that she would eventually learn the truth about herself, her body. She knew that the day would come when she would have to reveal the truth to her daughter, but she wanted to wait until Lily was old enough to understand the full implications of her story.

One day, just a couple months after  Lily's thirteenth birthday, she stumbled upon a book in the library, called, "Your Developing Body," and it explained the anatomy of males and females and what to expect during puberty. She felt a chill run down her spine as she looked at the drawings, read the text, and realized the truth about her body.

As she confronted her mother, anger and confusion clouded her eyes. "Why did you lie to me?" she demanded, her voice shaking with emotion. "Why did you raise me as a girl if I was really supposed to be a boy?"

Her mother sighed, knowing that the time had come to reveal the truth. She took a seat beside Lily and gently took her hand in hers. "I did it to protect you, Lily," she said, her voice barely audible. "I did it because I didn't want you to grow up like your father. I wanted to give you a chance at a different life."

Lily listened intently, her eyes wide with disbelief. "But why? Why did you have to lie to me about who I was... am?" she asked, struggling to understand. "Why couldn't I just be who I was born to be?"

Her mother looked at her daughter with an unreadable expression, her heart aching with the weight of the truth. "I did it because I loved you," she said simply. "I did it because I wanted you to have a chance at a better life, a life free from the toxic masculinity that runs in your father's family and mine." She then began to reveal a bit about Lily's father.

Lily's eyes filled with tears, and she threw her arms around her mother, burying her face in her shoulder. "I'm sorry," she sobbed. "I didn't mean to be so angry. I just wanted to know why you raised me this way. You are doing the best you can and I see that now."

Her mother held her tight, stroking her hair, feeling the warmth of her daughter's body against her own. "I know it must have been confusing, honey," she said softly. "And I'm sorry that I had to keep this from you for so long. But I want you to know that I will always love you, no matter what. You are my beautiful daughter, and nothing will ever change that."

Lily pulled away slightly, wiping her tears. "I understand," she said, her voice still shaky. "I just need some time to process all of this." She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. "Do you think we should tell anyone about this?" she asked tentatively.

Her mother considered the question carefully. "I don't think it's necessary to tell anyone, Lily," she replied gently. "Your father's family will never accept you, and they might try to use this information against us. For that matter, my family may never accept you either of the know. For now, I think it's best if we keep this secret between us."

Lily nodded, taking in her mother's words. She knew that her mother had her best interests at heart, and she trusted her judgment. But as she processed the revelation, she couldn't help but feel a sense of disconnect from her past, her family, and her identity.