Chapter 5: Here comes trouble

Chapter 5

April:

Damien had been absent from school ever since he spat that I was a horrible teacher in front of the whole class five days ago. I stared blankly at the name ‘DAMIEN MORRISON’ on my attendance list before picking up my pen and scribbling “absent” beside his name.

How long was he going to avoid coming to school? If he keeps this up, he’s surely going to get expelled, “And it would be all my fault.” I muttered to myself bitterly, pushing away the attendance list.

                                                ~.~.~.~.~

“I know you wouldn’t believe me because I lied to you once, but I’ve brought the evidence with me.” Violet took out a small tape recorder from her pocket, “I usually record the lessons during class so I can listen to them at home, but this morning I forgot to turn it off and it recorded the conversation between Clyde and Damien.” Violet explained briefly, she held the tape recorder up and it started to play.

“You aren’t welcome here, new kid. If you know what’s good for you, get on your knees and beg and I’ll consider not beating you up.”

“I don’t see them falling over themselves to welcome you either.”

“You sure know how to talk big, huh? How about fighting me, you coward.”

“I don’t want to fight so get out of my way.”

“Asshole, when I say I want a fight, I’ll get one. Have a taste of this, new kid!”

With that, Violet turned off the recorder and handed it to me. The realization that I had wronged Damien sank in and a wave of guilt hit me hard – I had accused him. You’re a terrible teacher...terrible teacher....terrible...teacher...His voice echoed continuously in my head.

“Then why...why did you lie? Why did the class lie?” I questioned her.

“We all know what Clyde and Brian would do to us if we got on their bad side. They have a gang and will beat us all if we offended them. We wouldn’t dare to interfere with them, even the teachers themselves try to stay away from them, including Mr Parkson.” Violet explained slowly in a hushed tone, “If they knew I told you this...” Violet trailed off, fear clouded her eyes.

“I have to speak to them.” I said determinedly. Turning a blind eye to this isn’t going to work, if they think that they’ve escaped this time, they’re bound to repeat their mistakes again.

“No!” Violet cried as panic flared in her eyes, she grabbed my arm, “No! You must not!” She repeated.

“I won’t tell on you.” I assured her, “Don’t worry.”

“No, Miss Paige!” Violet tightened her grip on my arm as she shook her head, “Everyone stays away from them and you should too.”

“But-“

“For your safety.” Violet added quickly.

                                                ~.~.~.~.~

I tried finding Damien after learning about the truth, but he was nowhere to be found. He didn’t turn up for school ever since the fight and I had absolutely no clue where he could be. Every day, I caught myself glancing at his desk, holding on to that tiny hope that he would be sleeping at his desk, oblivious to his surroundings. Not only that, occasionally, I caught myself casting swift glances at the entrance, hoping that he’ll come strolling in to class. However, that spark of hope was growing dimmer with each passing day.