Chapter 9: Second Thoughts

Chapter 9:

Damien:

I sat on the bench outside my apartment, clutching the envelope holding $215 that I had stolen. As I stared at the envelope, I began to hesitate. Sure I had gotten into fights, beaten up people, cut school, but steal?

Did I really have to steal?

I couldn’t believe I was stooping so low. I couldn’t believe this. Money had never been an issue for me as I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth until I’ve been forced to live here by myself. Should I go back and return the envelope?

No. Damien, what are you thinking? You need that money or else you’ll be sleeping on the streets, god damn it. Besides, you’ve already stole it, what’s the use of bringing it back? Just use it and pay the rent!

I stood up, slipped the envelope into my pocket and slung my schoolbag over my shoulder and headed into the apartment.

“Bzz. Bzz. Bzzzzz.”

I took a quick glance at my phone and realized I had 5 unread messages and 3 miss calls from Miss Paige.

2.15pm

Damien where are you? Did you take the 215 dollars?

2.17pm

Damien where are you?

2.20pm

Please answer my calls.

2.21pm

Damien answer me now.

2.23pm

Damien if you did take the money please go back and return it. It’s not too late yet.

I ignored her messages, closed my phone and slipped it in the other pocket of my pants before knocking softly on Mr Evans, the landlord’s door, “It’s me, Damien.”

“Come in.” He replied after a couple of seconds.

“Well, well. I’ve been expecting you, Mr Morrison.” Then landlord began as soon as I entered as he placed the newspaper that he was reading on his desk. “I suppose you’ve brought the money that you owe me?”

I stayed silent for a few seconds. I slipped my hand into my pocket once again and touched the envelope.

“So? Have you brought it?” Mr Evans prompted, impatiently.

“I need more time.” I replied, “Just three days.”

Mr Evans cleared his throat before speaking. “I’ve think that I’ve already given you enough time. Do you think I’m doing some charity work?”

He paused and sighed, “Look, if you don’t have the money then I’m sorry. You will have to pack up and leave. I have other clients wanting to rent the apartment. I’ll give you one day to pack your stuff and leave. So, do you have the money?”

I sighed, pulling out the envelope from my pocket.

April:

After an hour of searching for the missing money, our efforts were in vain. It was still nowhere to be found. My heart sank. That small, flame of hope that maybe, just maybe it might have been carelessly misplaced somewhere had been extinguished by disappointment.

If Damien had really stole the money, he certainly would be expelled from school, or even worst, put behind bars. Why? That idiot. Why couldn’t he just put down his ego and let me help him.