Chapter 7: Nightshade

Chapter 7:

Damien:

I leaned back against the hard, wooden chair and stared at the white walls of the police station. The officer in front of me was occupied with his phone, he wore a serious expression as he swiped the screen of his Iphone. The annoying "candy crush" music was playing and I resisted the urge to grab his phone fling it to the ground.

“When can I go?” I asked him impatiently, leaning forward and glancing at my watch. It’s 2.45AM in the morning and I’m still stuck in the police station. I’ve been stuck here since 1.30AM in the morning and there’s nothing to do here.

“You’re only allowed to leave after your teacher comes and fills in the forms.” He said firmly, his eyes still fixed on the screen of his phone, “Meanwhile, you should sit here, shut up and stop disturbing me.”

I thought that I’ll never need her phone number but I guess I was wrong. There’s no one old enough that can get me out of here except her, so I had no choice. I leaned back again, muttering a curse beneath my breath. Where the hell is she?

At that moment, Miss Paige hurried into the room. Her blonde hair was tied into a messy bun, several stray strands of hair were falling over her face. She wore a simple orange tank top, a pair of white, decent shorts and a light brown coat . I grinned, this is something that I don’t see my teacher wearing every day.

The officer whom was sitting in front of me, stared at Miss Paige for a moment, before he stood up and walked over to her. “Are you Miss April Paige?”

She nodded.

“May I see your Identity card please?” The officer requested.

Miss Paige rummaged through her bag before pulling out her wallet and showing him her identity card. “May I ask what have my student got himself into this time?” She asked as she shot me a glare.

“He was fighting with four guys at 1AM in the morning. The other four had already left the station.” The officer replied, as he brought her to another desk, “We need you to fill in those forms and both of you can leave.”

Fifteen minutes had passed and Miss Paige placed the pen down and handed the papers to the officer. “Can we leave now?”

He flipped through the papers, making sure that they were filled up before nodding in approval. The officer turned to me, “You should be grateful to this young lady here. I wouldn’t get out of my bed at 2AM in the morning and come down to the station just to get some teenager out of here.”

Once we were outside the station, Miss Paige turned to me and shot me an annoyed look. “What on earth were you thinking? Fighting with four guys at 1AM in the morning with your school uniform on!” She chided.

I shrugged, “I needed money.”

She stared at me for a moment, “I don’t understand. I flipped through your portfolio this morning and it seems like your family is pretty wealthy.”

“So what if my family is wealthy? I came here with nothing. I have no family here, I have no money here, I have nothing.” I spat and placed my hands in my pocket and turned to walk away.

 “Hey! Where are you going? I’m not finished yet!” Miss Paige yelled, pulling me back.  “You’re going to walk home at 3AM in the morning?”

“No, I’m going to spread my wings and fly home at 3AM in the morning.” I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

Miss Paige looked at me, slightly amused. She let go of me before adding, “Well, too bad. I was planning to drive you home but since you had wings, it would be much faster for you to fly home. See you!” She flashed me a smile before turning and walking away.