~.✧ twenty-five ✧.~

Plans and courses of action were debated and discussed over and over for the rest of that day, and that night, I settled down in Varien and my tent with an eerie silence pervading the camp

Plans and courses of action were debated and discussed over and over for the rest of that day, and that night, I settled down in Varien and my tent with an eerie silence pervading the camp. It was deafening and it wasn't until late into the night when Varien finally joined me for a couple of hours of sleep that I was able to shut my eyes, his gentle humming the only thing that cured my stress-induced insomnia.

But the peace I found in dreamless sleep didn't last as only hours later, a messenger stirred Varien—and, in turn, me—awake, saying the second scout group had returned. I didn't hear much else as Varien was on his feet and following him out the door. But I heard enough to allow little more rest of the night.

The Brikenfoltians' camp was now doubled in size and were scaling the mounts, making their way to the pass.

The rising sun fluttered underneath the tent's canvas and made a soft glow fill my surroundings. I knew it was a calling for me to arise and get dressed, so I could help with the effort, but exhaustion weighed down my limbs and made it difficult to get up.

The gentle sound of birds and the morning breeze rustling through the surrounding forest outside should have brought some peace to my mind. The soldiers' boots and the soft mutters of preparation should have instilled confidence. And in a small way, it did. I forced it to. I let my eyes remain closed for a long while and remembered the conversation I had with Gentry the day before. I clung to her reassurances, to her optimism, letting it be my fuel for the day as the amount of sleep I'd received wasn't enough to help me.

My eyes remained closed until the sound of footsteps getting louder made them flutter open. Turning to face the entry flap, I caught Varien as he entered.

He gave me a soft smile that didn't reach his eyes as he approached my pallet that was much less comfortable than the beds I was accustomed to at the palace. Sitting down beside me, he reached out and caressed my cheek. "Morning, love."

"Morning," I rasped, my voice scratchy from the cool night air I'd breathed all night.

His hand fell away from my face but I took it in mine before he could retract it all the way. Staring at his long, slender fingers as mine ran along them, I cleared my throat and asked quietly, "Any news?"

He said nothing, only breathed evenly as I awaited a response. His silence stretched for so long, I looked back up at him. "Var?"

Pressing his lips together, he shook his head slightly. "Brikenfolt is about halfway down the pass. We sent..." He let out a sigh, one laden with pain.

I slowly sat up, mustering up the little energy I had to do so. If Varien could lead a war right now on less sleep than I'd received, I could sit up to talk to him. Squeezing his hand, I gently prompted him to continue. "You sent troops?"

He nodded once. "We sent as many as we could afford to try and hold off their approach. It worked but I'm afraid for how long. We... we lost far more men than they did and it will only take them so long to recuperate."