~.✧ five ✧.~

The night of the ball came faster than I had wished

The night of the ball came faster than I had wished. I found myself getting ready in a similar manner to my wedding and the feeling wasn't exactly pleasant.

At least the tailors could leave my fitting room now that my dress was done. And they wouldn't have to come back too often since they now had a dress they could base the measurements off of.

I had to admit, the old man did a good job on the dress. It rivaled the beauty of my wedding dress even in the haste at which it was made. It was an open shoulder design with a sweetheart neckline and long lace sleeves. Lace and beads were embroidered to the form-fitting bodice and cascaded in a similar pattern down the skirt. The skirt was two layers, the top shorter than the other with more lace and beads than the bottom layer.

Over all, though, it was the deep red color that made me feel more comfortable stepping into this dress than the other.

One of the younger, kinder tailors that came to oversee the head tailor's work smiled slightly as she inspected the piece on its model. "Beautiful. You look perfectly regal and queenly, your Majesty. A wonderful color to show your authority."

Well, I hadn't meant to "show my authority" but I guess it was too late to change that now.

Maids simultaneously did my hair, picked out my jewelry, and added the necessary powders and paints to my face to make me look pretty. In less than twenty minutes, with the setting sun's rays dashing through my curtains, I was ready to be presented to all of the guests flowing into the ballroom on the first floor.

The tailor was right, though. I looked far less girlish in this dress than I had in my wedding dress. My presence was more commanding and I could even say intimidating. Where I lacked in stature like Varien, I made up for in my queenly air. Too bad I hadn't quite mastered the grace of a queen yet to complete the package.

I stumbled off the platform, nearly twisting an ankle on the several inch tall heels they'd shoved onto my feet. While I was accustomed to heels, these were a whole new level of the balance game, as I called it when I was younger.

Just as I'd regained my footing on normal ground, a knock sounded at the door in my sitting room that led out into the hall. A maid rushed to answer it and I held my breath even though I knew exactly who it was considering he'd promised to fetch me at eight o'clock sharp.

"Your Majesty," the maid's voice acknowledged from the other room. I peeked in to see her curtsying at the doorway. "The queen is nearly ready if you would like to wait here."

Varien muttered something to her, too quiet for me to hear before stepping in. I took a step back so the wall concealed me before releasing a breath. Why was I nervous? I mean, I'd technically done this at our wedding. But this wasn't our wedding. These were new people that I would actually have to talk to and appear to be worthy of ruling. And if I knew anything about Ethiran balls, they often lasted hours on end. I'd have to act my way through this all night long.