~.✧ eight ✧.~

The ride felt much shorter than I'd been expecting, but maybe that was because I never let it go too quiet, always finding some new question to ask Varien so that things wouldn't get overly awkward

The ride felt much shorter than I'd been expecting, but maybe that was because I never let it go too quiet, always finding some new question to ask Varien so that things wouldn't get overly awkward. There were still moments where it was a little uncomfortable, but as long as I was trying, I could see the difference.

Varien did his best at answering and asking questions just as I was, but I could tell he wasn't used to talking so much to people. Near the end, his answers became shorter and shorter and he stopped asking questions of his own.

It was a little aggravating but I kept myself together. I could see that he was doing his best and that it would just take time for us to get completely used to the other, even in just simple small talk like this.

We arrived in Dera Province and we greeted and waved at the people as we passed and then went to the square for Varien to say a few words. Though his short speech was the same as all the other provinces, I could sense that he was tired. Maybe we both needed some time to decompress and rest.

We made it to the inn around four o'clock and while it was bigger than the last one, it wasn't quite as polished. It was older and the rooms were smaller, but it would do well for the night.

Varien insisted on escorting me to my room even though I told him it wasn't necessary. So I held onto his arm as we climbed the stairs toward the top floor.

Like the last inn, we received the nicest rooms and there were only two on the top floor. I let out a small, inaudible sigh. It wasn't so much that I was uncomfortable knowing he was on the same floor as me anymore. It was more that I didn't want to have a recreation of last night where I woke him up from my nightmares.

He almost seemed to sense my thoughts. "If... Would you like Kes to stay in my room on this floor with you instead?"

I shot my gaze up to his. "What? Oh, no, It's okay. I wouldn't want to make you give up your room for me."

"It would be no trouble, really."

I opened my mouth to argue again, but I paused upon seeing the look in his eye. His kind-hearted nature shone through his gaze and made me think about taking him up on that offer.

But I ultimately shook my head. "No. I'll be okay."

He nodded. "Alright. I believe the servants brought your things to this room." He gestured to the one on the left before slipping his arm out of mine.

"Thank you," I told him as I positioned myself in front of the door.

He nodded before he turned and started toward the stairs again, most likely to help unpack.

But before he could get very far, I said, "Varien."

Just like last night he looked over his shoulder and met my eyes.

But this time, I knew what I wanted to say. "Today was good. Thank you for letting me ride in your carriage."

The corner of his mouth twitched up. "You're welcome. If..." He looked down bashfully. "If you ever want to join me again, there's always room."