~.✧ seventeen ✧.~

The palace recovered slower after this closer attack than the first

The palace recovered slower after this closer attack than the first. There had been several guards wounded and pieces of furniture and items in the lower levels of the palace destroyed. Luckily, the wounds were minor enough that no one was killed and the material objects weren't of any large value. Yet still, the attack left many people on edge, nervous and confused about what would happen next.

Varien went straight into action the morning after the attack, setting things straight and beginning to build defenses. If Brikenfolt was going to step on to our own territory, we'd be ready to show them just how loyal we were to our land and people.

And while I was able to help some with Varien's effort, it wasn't much. Though the attack had significantly rattled me, I was ready to fight back. I was angry about this and my anger always fueled my determined fire. But there wasn't much I could do when I was still learning how the Ethiran military worked and how the government tied into it, what was legally justified and what wasn't. Though I dreaded it, I studied extra long with Lady Evelyne so that I could get caught up on the game. But even then, I felt like I'd always be chasing tails, barely hanging on as new information and events were thrown at me.

At least even if I couldn't see Varien during the day sometimes, I could at night. Yet still, it wasn't the same. He'd finish up with work after I'd already fallen asleep and when I'd slip into his room at night, he often wouldn't even wake up. Then, in the morning, he was gone before I stirred. We were always eating separately because he barely had a moment to eat, always missing each other. It'd been a week since our relationship had changed and I felt like I'd only seen him and talked to him genuinely once or twice.

So in the restless hours of the afternoon, I navigated the halls toward the King's Study. Even if he had to work while I sat by and watched, I wanted to see him.

Two guards stood outside his study when I arrived and I gave him both a nod of greeting. I nearly asked permission to enter before I realized I didn't need to; I was the Ethiran queen. This was my home now. This was my husband.

So I reached out and took the handle, slowly pushing the door in. When I peeked around, I found Varien leaned over his desk—which was covered in books and parchments and letters—writing something intently. He didn't even notice as I stepped in and quietly latched the door behind me.

As I approached, a slow smile pulled to my face. I hadn't realized how singly focused he could be. I was only yards away and he still hadn't seen me.

Holding my skirts up so they wouldn't rustle, I made a wide berth around his desk and slowly slid behind his chair. I had to hold in my laugh to not give myself away.

Dropping my dress, I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, pressing my cheek to his.

He jumped, his pen streaking across the page he was writing on.

I laughed. "Oh no, I'm sorry."

He tried to blot it away, but he didn't seem too concerned as he smiled over at me. "It's okay. I didn't even hear you come in."