Chapter 3

The thick faux leather chair had grown too warm for Hunter. While he typically thought of it as comfortable, a welcome addition to protect his back as he sat behind a desk all day, it had begun to feel sweaty and stuffy to sit in. Hunter shifted continuously in his seat, trying to get comfortable but finding it impossible with the persistent heat.

He debated getting up from his chair to sit on one of two pale, gray couches meant to break up his large office, but he didn't want to rest. He wanted to work and that could only be done behind his thick mahogany bureau.

Eventually, he found his layers to be unbearable too, peeling off his suit jacket to free his wide chest and rolling his dress shirt sleeves right above his elbows. As the hours passed, even his tie became too restrictive. Hunter hooked a finger into the top, dragging down the knot with a practiced ease and releasing a deep sigh.

The white man should have been used to long work days and hours behind his desk, but he was distracted today. Or to be more accurate, he'd been distracted for the past few weeks. A vibration in his pants pocket alerted Hunter of the incoming call. He pulled the device out, ready to upkeep a cool, professional tone when a booming voice came through the other line.

"Oh, Hunter, this new sign of yours is working wonders. We have so many new customers coming in every day!"

He immediately regretted ever bringing the phone up to his ear. Quickly switching it to speaker, Hunter rubbed at his abused ear.

"Hey, Anna," He greeted, trying (but failing miserably) to make himself sound energetic. "I'm glad the sign is helping."

A couple months ago when Hunter first got the idea to create the new logo for Anna, he did worry that she wouldn't like the design. Anna was an older woman, a family friend Hunter had known since he was a kid, and she enjoyed her traditions. While spending hours perfecting the logo, sign, and animation for Anna to use for her bakery, Hunter worried she would reject the entire thing. Luckily, she was beyond ecstatic when Hunter revealed the design to her two weeks ago and was already enjoying the free sign Hunter got made to hang above the bakery as well.

"It's doing more than 'help.' We now have so many trendy teens coming in to order. They keep asking for Bob to drink."

"Bob?" Hunter asked, his brows drawing inward in confusion. "I've never heard of that drink before."

"Bob, babe, b-b-bobbi, I think?" Anna huffed, growing increasingly frustrated with her own memory. "Maybe Bob-eye?"

A laugh barricaded its way out of Hunter's chest as he held both hands over his mouth, trying (and failing) to hold it back.

"Boba? You're talking about Boba?"

"Oh yes, that! What a strange thing to name a drink."

Anna further distracted Hunter from his work, having ceaseless stories to tell him about the bakery and changes her employees were inspired to make after getting the free sign and logo. When she turned the conversation to him, Hunter answered in the way everyone expected him to.

Work was great. The company was expanding. So many clients they're excited to work with.

He did this because he couldn't explain the other development that was creating a bigger and bigger impact on his life.

Hunter's craving for alcohol had grown, but only in relation to the cute bartender he knew would be serving it every Friday night.

What first started as a simple curiosity and attraction seemed to be taking up more and more space in his mind. He wanted to get to know him, see more of him, show River why he should get to know Hunter better too. Time he typically spent obsessing over the next big move for his company was instead being filled with the next big step in their relationship. Which was crazy considering that what they had could barely be called that. It was simply a few words and pleasantries shared across an occasionally sticky bar, but those words were growing to mean more to Hunter every day.