Chapter 24

Muhammad's POV

The morning sun cast a harsh light into my room, mirroring the harsh reality of the events that unfolded the previous day. Frustration lingered in the air, and I couldn't escape the weight of it. The intrusion into my private life, the public scrutiny – it all felt like an unwelcome invasion. I set out early eager to leave the house before anyone woke up and tried to speak with me.

Umar and I sat at a table at café flour, attempting to find solace in the familiar routine. Umar's arrival offered a semblance of relief. He had taken charge of damage control, successfully persuading major blogs to take down the posts. The photographer responsible for the leak faced the wrath of our anger. 

"Wai wani Faruk Jpegs," Umar hissed.

"Wawa kawai Dan iska." I remarked under my breath.

"It's handled bro" he reassured me.

"He will regret the day he decided to start photography."

As Umar updated me on the progress, his words carried a comforting reassurance. Yet, beneath the surface, a storm of emotions raged. The sense of violation lingered, and I couldn't shake off the frustration that clung to me like a second skin. I felt terrible for the way I spoke to A'isha and how I handled matters but I couldn't find it in me to drop my pride and call her. And starting the marriage procedures? It felt too real and too soon.

Umar, perceptive as always, nudged me towards a necessary conversation with A'isha. "Baba She's not to blame for this mess," he urged. "You can't let anger destroy what you're trying to build with her." I nodded my head making a mental note to call later.

We sat in a comfortable silence when a familiar voice echoed from behind us. "If it isn't my favorite pair of best friends."

Umar, seemingly unfazed, clenched his jaw and put on a fake smile. "Nadia, kwana goma."

A sinking feeling settled in my stomach as I heard her approaching. Nadia, my ex-girlfriend, had been a recurring figure in my life, the tumultuous nature of our relationship extending over five years. Our history ranged from dating to flirting and even dabbling in a friends-with-benefits arrangement. The messy and toxic dynamic had finally led me to cut ties with her earlier in the year, urging her to move on. However, she continued to find ways to insert herself into my life.

Exchanging pleasantries, Nadia made herself comfortable in the open seat next to me. "I thought we were friends, Adam. You couldn't even tell me you were seeing someone new."

"Recent development," I replied tersely.

Her response was loaded with skepticism. "I see. I wonder how long this one will last."

Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "Forever, in shaa Allah."

Nadia burst into laughter, treating the situation like an amusing spectacle. Amid Nadia's laughter, I felt an increasing discomfort. She continued, "Forever? Baby, daman you always did have a way with words. I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment."

Umar interjected, "Nadia, we were trying to have a private conversation here."

She waved off Umar dismissively. "Relax, Umar. I'm just catching up with an old friend. So, who's the lucky lady, Adam?"

I shot a silent glance at Umar, signaling my desire to end this conversation.

"Are you going to pretend like you didn't see the posts, and that's why you're asking, ko zaki rena mana hankali ne?" Umar snapped. The duo had never really gotten along; they almost had a sibling-like relationship.

"Oh, na gani, of course. I'm not denying that. But she's not anybody that anyone knows. Who's her father?"

Umar scoffed, picking up his phone, trying to ignore the conversation. "I'm glad you don't know her; she's private, and that's what I like."