Chapter 8

As the city stirred into the dawn, I wrapped myself in the warmth of my prayers and prepared for the journey ahead. The choice of a brown Nike sweatshirt and matching flair pants, paired with the comfort of crocs, seemed ideal for the travels. A black veil, hijab-style, completed my ensemble. I picked up my suitcase and Ted baker tote bag and headed downstairs. I was greeted by mamma holding a ziploc bag with some snacks for me in it and a drink. I love my mother.

Before leaving, I exchanged heartfelt goodbyes with my parents and Faiza. I got into the backseat of the car with Ya Fahd, my companion for the airport trip. During the ride he informed me that he would be going to his girlfriend's house this week to make his intentions known to her parents, the Tambaya or "na gani Ina so" as some people call it.

"Omg it's really happening! Allah ya kaimu da rai da Lafiya," I said to him with a big smile to which he replied "Amin."

I decided to tease him a bit, "imagine you don't get a positive answer?"

"Eh? When the family see me and my guys and our arrangement they'll be calm. By the time I blow them away with my beauty dole su ce ae. You can't say no to this great aura. Don't worry" he replied cockily and I rolled my eyes and laughed. Which yeye arrangement?

"I guess you'll have your first humbling experience this week," I joked and he sent me a death glare.

Once we arrived at the airport? The driver helped me offload my stuff and Ya Fahd pulled my suitcases in. He made a quick call at the entrance and they let him go all the way to the waiting area with me. One thing about living in Nigeria? With the right connections you can do anything. And one thing about Ya Fahd? He was well connected.

Ya Fahd, with his charismatic and extroverted character, was a beacon of social flair. Growing up in Abuja and attending Regent on scholarship and then going to Kings College in London for uni had granted him a wealth of connections, with the elites in Nigeria especially. His outgoing nature and genuine interest in people allowed him to effortlessly navigate social circles. Known for his warmth and affability, Ya Fahd's lively spirit made him a favorite among his friends and acquaintances alike.

I sat at the waiting area with ya Fahd drinking my iced coffee and scrolling through instagram. I informed one of my friends in Lagos Bimpe, that I'd be in her city for the week and we need to catch up. Bimpe, was a friend from high school and our mothers were friends too, we rarely saw one another though so I was looking forward to seeing her.

As I was advising ya Fahd to get a special gift for his girlfriend when he went for the tambaya, the call for boarding went off. He chuckled. "I'll follow your advice, A'isha. If all goes well, you might have a new sister soon."

Before venturing into the aircraft, I quickly sent a message to Muhammad, updating him on my imminent departure.

"About to board my flight to Lagos. Talk to you soon in shaa Allah," I texted. After my stint of pettiness, leaving him on "delivered" for a whole 24 hours a few days ago, we had gradually resumed more consistent conversations. In one of our recent exchanges, he hinted at the possibility of having work in Lagos this week. His assurance that he would find me if he did set a curious spark in the air.

The anticipation of our renewed connection lingered as the plane prepared for takeoff, carrying me towards the bustling heart of Lagos.

__________

Upon settling into my hotel in Lagos, the soft embrace of exhaustion nudged me towards a short nap. As the sun dipped below the horizon, I woke up, the city lights glimmering through the window. With a quick refresh, I headed to the office just before closing time, surprising my colleagues with treats from home – chin chin, gullisuwa, and an Egyptian delight mamma made, Basbousa, that left them intrigued.