Chapter 6

The rhythm of my day echoed with the flow of corporate responsibilities. In the struggles of my somewhat new career at Boston Consulting Group, I found myself navigating the intricacies of a new project. My new client sought innovative strategies for entering the digital market, and our brainstorming sessions unfolded a tapestry of ideas.

Amidst the day's hustle, a Teams meeting with my department from BCG, just admin stuff. As the discussion evolved, it became evident that my physical presence in Lagos, where the main office was, was required. The task of coordinating flights loomed, and I added "book Lagos flight" to my ever-growing to-do list.

Transitioning from corporate endeavors to personal aspirations by late afternoon, I reached out to my financial adviser. A budding business idea had been growing in my mind, rooted in Abuja's entrepreneurial landscape. The conversation went into feasibility studies and financial projections, of establishing a venture.

As the workday's echoes faded, I found solace in the kitchen, waiting for my cookies to emerge golden from the oven. The warmth of home embraced me. My phone buzzed, and Usman's name appeared on the screen. Accepting the call, I balanced the phone against my ear, a silent acknowledgment that the day's endeavors were far from over.

"Salam, A'isha," Usman's voice held a hint of hesitation. "I've been meaning to talk to you. Can we chat for a bit?"

"Sure, what's on your mind?" I replied, settling into the conversation.

We did a little bit of small talk, how's your day?how's work? You know, the usual. Being the ever playful and chill man he is, he cracked some jokes and we laughed, can't lie it was nice talking to him right now.

"So, any plans for the rest of the night?"he asked

I replied "Not much. Probably catch up on my reading, and I'm currently baking cookies"

"Ouu I want some of that! I was thinking we could grab dinner tonight, just the two of us. What do you say? Or we can even just order and sit in my car and eat?" He rambled nervously and I chuckled.

"You know I can't leave my house by this time. Plussss remember I don't go on dates? But you can come over when you're free to pick up the cookies not tonight though"

He agreed to let me know if he would take me up on my offer.

"A'isha, you remember high school, right? What we had was good no?" I chuckled at the cheekiness I could sense in his tone.

"It was aight," I joked.

"I never stopped liking you I think, seeing you now with Muhammad, it brought those feelings back stronger like now you could actually be someone else's."

His admission hung in the air, and I processed the revelation. "Usman, we've been like friends for so long. Why didn't you say anything all this time"

He paused, his voice carrying a mix of regret and vulnerability. "I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship. I thought those feelings had faded, but seeing you with someone else... it hit me."

I took a moment before responding, choosing my words carefully. "Usman, our friendship means a lot to me. and Muhammad is just a friend."

There was a silence on the other end, a heaviness settling in the conversation. "I needed to say it, A'isha. I couldn't keep it to myself any longer."

"Na gane." (I understand)

"If he's just a friend give us a chance A'isha or there's someone else?"

"There's many people actually you know I'm a fine babe," I joked, trying to lighten the conversation. But no jokes too, I too set.