Chapter 9 - Wake Up Call

9

I slowly started to come to again, hearing faint sounds of shuffling around the brightly lit room, followed by a door opening and closing when I shifted in bed and fluttered my eyes open, hearing Sam's soft voice call out from beside me, "Cat?"

I suddenly realized I was lying in a cot back home in the infirmary at the mansion, looking back and seeing Sam sitting in a chair beside the cot in his normal get-up of a light blue flannel and jeans as a smile spread across his face when I let out a half-laugh, half-cry as I sat up in bed and turned towards him with a wide smile, "Oh thank god, it worked!"

Sam furrowed his brows slightly in confusion as I started to reach for his hands when I stopped, shaking my head and furrowing my brows, "Wait, this is real, right? I'm not dead, am I?"

Sam furrowed his brows and shook his head as he let out a quiet laugh, reaching for my hands and smiling back at me, "No, you're not dead. This is real. I'm real."

I let out a breath of relief, taking his hands and standing up from the bed before sitting on his lap and pulling him closer, wrapping my arms around his shoulders in a warm embrace as tears stung my eyes when Sam wrapped his arms tightly around me, closing his eyes as he buried his face in my neck.

"What the hell happened to you?"

I stopped, opening my eyes and slowly pulling away as I looked back at him, shaking my head and letting out a short laugh, "It's a long story, I'll explain later."

I reached up with both hands and grabbed his face with a smirk, pulling him into a passionate kiss and catching him a little off-guard before he kissed me back, lifting his hands around my waist as I tilted my head and drew out the passionate kiss with growing intensity.

I allowed my lips to linger against his for a moment longer before finally pulling away and noticing the incredibly flustered look on his face as he sat still in place, furrowing his brows slightly and swallowing as he looked at me, "What was that for?"

I bit my lip with a growing smirk as I brushed his hair back and shrugged, "I just realized I don't do that enough."

Sam raised his eyebrows slightly with a look of growing desire in his eyes as he shrugged in agreement, smiling halfway and letting out a short laugh, "I couldn't agree more?"

I smiled even wider, letting out a laugh and shaking my head before giving him another soft kiss when he stopped, furrowing his brows slightly and shaking his head, "You're really not gonna tell me what the hell just happened?"

I shrugged, raising one eyebrow with a slight frown, "I will tell you, but first I've got some questions? Like how did I get back here? I thought I was gonna wake up somewhere in Pakistan with my blood being drained slowly?"

Sam raised his eyebrows slightly as he shook his head, "No, Billie got the Djinn and brought it back here with you. It's in the panic room, we're still trying to figure out an anti-venom. The better question, is how the hell did it get the drop on you like that?"

I furrowed my brows, giving him a look and shaking my head, "Well, no one thought to tell me the thing was fucking invisible? That's how it got the drop on me."

Sam eased up slightly as his expression relaxed a little, "Oh. Sorry, I didn't actually know that myself?"

A slight smirk cracked on my face, letting out a short laugh before shaking my head, "Well, I guess there's a first time for everything?"