Chapter 3 - To Be Normal

3

I shifted against the hard cot as the sunlight spilling in from above my head started to blind me, shutting my eyes tighter and groaning before I started to get up out of bed, tossing the thin scratchy blanket back and leaning over the edge as I took my time to wake up. I blinked my tires eyes and shook my head to clear the fog, rubbing my face and brushing my hand through my hair when I realized it probably looked wild, since no one had warned me that having short hair was usually a guarantee for eternal bedhead.

I groaned deeply as I dropped my head into my hands, forcing myself to get up and pulling down the black silk nightgown from around my waist that always seemed to bunch up when I slept no matter how hard I tried not to toss and turn. I stepped over to the nearby metal chair with my bare feet slapping against the cold concrete and grabbed my silk patterned robe, wrapping it around myself and tying the waist before opening the heavy panic room door with a loud metallic whine, grimacing as I did.

After a quick trip to the bathroom to try to tame my hair, I appeared inside the informal dining room while hoping no one was there and smiled to myself as I scanned the empty room with the bright morning sunlight filling the tall round room through the large paned windows.

"Bingo. New safe spawn point unlocked."

I opened the wooden French doors and stepped through, already seeing the kitchen filled with more people than I anticipated when Ken and Addison's dogs came bounding past me into the informal dining room, looking back and watching as the large Australian Shepherd and Bernese Mountain dog happily trotted around the room, only stopping to smell all the new things.

I hesitantly turned around, making a face and shrugging lightly, "Sorry."

Dean was busy making breakfast as Sam stood at the coffee maker with Mandy, Addison, Ken and Andy all crowding around the other side of the island counter when Ken turned back and shook his head with a soft smile, "Ah, don't worry about it."

I stepped outside of the room as Ken walked past me and whistled for them, gesturing with his head, "Mulder, Scully, get out of there."

I laughed lightly as the Bernese Mountain dog named 'Mulder' came up to me, bending down and scratching behind his ears, looking up at Ken and shaking my head with a wide smile, "I love that you guys named your dogs after fictional F.B.I. agents."

Ken laughed and shrugged with a proud smile, "Thanks. It was my idea."

I walked further into the kitchen as I headed for Sam by the coffee maker as he poured himself a cup of coffee and smiled softly back at me, "Morning, sunshine."

I smiled back up at him when Andy let out a laugh, raising her eyebrows with a grin, "Looks like someone slept pretty good?"

I stopped, glancing back and brushing my hair back before shaking it off and frowning slightly, "More like the opposite?"

I met Sam at the counter in front of the coffee maker, catching the brief worried look in his eyes when I smiled tightly and shook my head, "I'll be fine once I get some coffee."

Sam smiled halfway and nodded as I opened the above cabinet and reached for a mug, glancing back at the island where Dean was standing over the stove wearing a black tee and jeans with a hand towel tossed over his shoulder and raised my eyebrows with a smile, "And maybe once I get some of whatever Bobby Flay's making? When the hell did you become a friggin' iron chef?"